How important are concentration areas/tracks for career preparation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psi123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm applying to Psy.D programs this year and am interested in concentrating in the child/adolescent population. Some of the schools that I'm interested in (because of geo. location, tuition, match rate, theoretical orientation, clinical opportunities, etc) actually don't have a child/adolescent concentration or child track. These schools describe their curriculum as having a generalist approach or many say they cover all major areas in the field, which, after taking a look at the courses, all include courses on assessment and treatment of children/adolescents. They also list practicum sites that involve treatment/assessment/services for children/adolescents. A few of their graduate students' internship placement sites also list sites that serve the child/adolescent population.

How adequate is it to just take regular courses when I'd eventually like to specialize in the specific population (i.e. get an internship relating to that population)? Would practicum/clinical training opportunities with the specific population suffice? Should I be looking at the internship placement sites to gauge how well students are trained with a certain population?

Any thoughts would help greatly, thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.