Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

How important are extracurriculars?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by fingerscrossedpremed, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. fingerscrossedpremed

fingerscrossedpremed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have really average, maybe below average, EC's.
    • have 70 hours of volunteering with underprivileged children and homeless people while I was in high school,
    • played on a golf team that went to the state championship in high school,
    • have 100 hours of combined shadowing and volunteer hours (it was literally a combination of shadowing physicians when the ER was slow and doing volunteer work when I could be of some assistance)
    • essentially worked for a physician as a superintendent summer and cleaned his medical suite after he saw patients
    • I am a member of the premedical honor society at my university
    So I just really feel like I lack in this area. I focused a ton in my undergraduate education on keeping my GPA as high as possible and I'm just not the type of person to join an abundance of clubs or have a leadership role in one of them. I'm passionate about medicine, but not really anything else. I just hope my EC's aren't so bad that I don't get interviews. My lizzy m score is fine (68). I just feel like my EC's are inferior to the other applicants on sdn and its starting to worry me. So, how important are extracurriculars? Will mine keep me from getting into medical school? I've applied to mid and lower tier medical schools.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Extracurriculars are very important. There are many people with really good stats that get rejected every single year because of a lack of clinical experience. AdCom's want to know that YOU know what you're getting into. I'm no expert, but I would definitely say your EC's are below average. If you don't get in this cycle, spend the year getting some meaningful, active clinical experience.

Goro and gyngyn like this.
  4. candbgirl

candbgirl Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Your ECs are very much below average. Adcoms aren't impressed with high school activities unless you have continued those activities into college. You need to start working on beefing up your ECs NOW! Don't wait for the end of the cycle to do something.

5. fingerscrossedpremed

Medical Student

Last edited: 09.25.14
  6. Doctor Dream

Doctor Dream 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    An adcom member on this site named @Goro always says in regards to admission that your MCAT and GPA will get you to the door, but your EC's are what get you THROUGH the door. So to answer your question, yeah EC's are really important.

7. alpinism

alpinism Give Em' the Jet Fuel 5+ Year Member

Agreed with the above.

HS ECs really don't count unless its something very impressive or continued into college (not that going to the state championship isn't cool).

Your shadowing is good.

Besides that you need more clinical experience, community service, leadership, and possibly research.

fingerscrossedpremed, Goro and gyngyn like this.
  8. user12

user12 2+ Year Member

real important

9. user12

user12 2+ Year Member

more important than a1 steak sauce.

10. FutureDoc1988

FutureDoc1988 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are weak in your ECs. It sounds like you already applied though? How many did you apply to? MD or DO?

Also anything you did in high school doesn't count for medical school applications.

ciestar likes this.
  11. fingerscrossedpremed

Medical Student
    I applied to 8 MD schools and 2 DO schools. I was limited as to how many places I could apply. I'm currently looking for a physician to start shadowing. I've called a few of the medical schools that I applied to, and they basically said they're primarily interested in my clinical experience and not so much my other extracurriculars.

12. FutureDoc1988

FutureDoc1988 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would look for volunteering experiences in the medical field.

fingerscrossedpremed likes this.

About the ads