How important are first time pass rates for Comlex 1/2 for when comparing schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdhere1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think this has more to do with the individual them self?

Or should a big emphasis be placed on the school's curriculum/facilities/preparation/support?

If a school has for example an 80% first time pass rate for Comlex 2 which is below the national average, does this mean poor rotation sites and clinical exposure?

Thanks.
@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

In general, the stuff on board exams is random medical trivia, and it has little to do with actual medicine. So I don't think bad level 2 scores necessarily means bad rotations.

Having board pass rates significantly below the national average should be a red flag, though. I think wcu had a low pass rate a few years ago (maybe they still do). Failing a board exam is a pretty big deal. It's really mostly up to you, though. Your school can sabotage you by not providing enough time to study (at least 4 weeks for level 1; ideally 6 weeks). You shouldn't need much time for level 2. My school gave me only 2 weeks and I got a 700 something, which is in the high 90s percentile wise.

80% is really low. I would be concerned. It might be the quality of the students the school takes, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bingo. This is one of the reasons I'm very leery of recommending Touro-NY.

So what advice do you have for us at Touro NY?

Also, I never heard bad things about our rotations from current oms3/4. I do hear mixed things about our clinical curriculum though. Though what the difference is I don't know.

Complain to your Clinical Education Deans about this.

Avoid any rotations that are preceptor-based, and not wards-based.

So what advice do you have for us at Touro NY?

Also, I never heard bad things about our rotations from current oms3/4. I do hear mixed things about our clinical curriculum though. Though what the difference is I don't know.

Complain to your Clinical Education Deans about this.

Avoid any rotations that are preceptor-based, and not wards-based.

I think most of our rotations are wards based.