How important are leadorship positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how important are leadorship positions in the eyes of the adcoms? Such as being a head coach, or directing undergrad researchers in a research lab. Etc..etc. I've seen on a few schools that they consider in leadorship experience at some point.

So from those who are in med school, or have gotten in, or anyone with the 2 cents to chip in, what do you have to say about that?
Obviously i know leadership experience won't effect my app in a negative way(that would be so messed up..haha).

Members don't see this ad.

Unless of course you were leader of your local Klan or something. I can't see them looking to highly on that. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what about teaching like a music class for kids in a inner city program...is that leadership?

Organizing a program to teach inner city kids music would be leadership. Teaching them music would be teaching.

I disagree SMW...I think teaching is in itself a leadership position. Aren't you leading your class in a lesson plan? Aren't you helping to facilitate discussion? Aren't you planning ahead of time things to say etc etc?
That is my definition of leadership.
In my essays on leadership, I picked out certain events that occurred during classes and then expanded on them and showing how teaching was a leadership role. Such as using my authority to stimulate discussion etc etc etc....stuff like that..

Hmmm....teaching huh? My school offers a program where i can occassion teach(TA?) a highschool science class(bio/chem/physics..etc). I've always wanted to do that, now i better find the time..hehe.

relentless11,

Leadership positions can't break you, but they can make you. (I hope that makes sense.) It provides great interview conversation. They may bring it up, or if you have a window of opportunity you can bring it up. It works to your advantage and makes you stand out in the eyes of the interviewer. A certain leadership position could be what the interviewer may remember you by. Last year when I interviewed, the interviewer brought up the fact that I had listed I was the president of Beta Beta Beta. I talked about my experiences, and I think it made me "human" in his eyes. The same people would always volunteer for the service projects, and thus I was looking into new projects that would interest greater numbers of people. I also talked to him about putting together the "dissection project" with local elementary kids. Anyways, I won't bore you with details, but if you have an opportunity, take advantage of any leadership activities that come your way! Not only do you help out the community, but you learn a lot from the experience.

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•I disagree SMW...I think teaching is in itself a leadership position. Aren't you leading your class in a lesson plan? Aren't you helping to facilitate discussion? Aren't you planning ahead of time things to say etc etc?
That is my definition of leadership.
In my essays on leadership, I picked out certain events that occurred during classes and then expanded on them and showing how teaching was a leadership role. Such as using my authority to stimulate discussion etc etc etc....stuff like that..•

What you say makes sense, Scooby, but unfortunately teachers aren't generally thought of as leaders. Are college professors thought of as leaders? -- no, they're thought of as isolated up in their ivory towers. We all know how primary and secondary teachers are looked upon -- not very favorably -- at least as far as how society rewards them. Academics who make important scientific discoveries then have to sit back and watch as politicians (leaders?) with absolutely no scientific understanding pontificate on the ramificiations of those discoveries. Maybe teaching SHOULD be looked upon as leadership, but I dont' believe that in common parlance it is. I think you make a good case for it, and anyone who puts down teaching as a leadership position should be prepared to make an equally strong case. I realize adcoms are not exactly the general public, but I think their views of leadership may be colored by the more general perception.

Right SMW,

I think you need to be able to defend your positions on everything you say. Lately, everything I have done or say I think to myself "could that be an interview question...what if the interviewer asked me what type of car i drive...what if he asked me what sort of animal i liked best..."
haha...way overdoing it but at least I am getting in the mindset to answer questions.

As for teaching, I think it constitutes ONE TYPE of leadership position. While it doesn't deal with creation of a society or creation of a club or whatever, it does show responsibility and your ability to guide a mass of people in a direction.

I know one girl who created a club for homeless people solely so she could put it on her application. She called me up and asked if I wanted to help....I was super busy so I declined but then she said "Come on, if you join you can put it on your med school apps and then you will look much better." I declined again but she kept saying, "starting a program/club is the best thing you can put on there! come on, it will make you stand out..."
I personally have never had a thing for clubs. I have joined one or two but I always see the members as having alterior motives. It's really hard to find something where everyone is true to themselves and doing it for the enjoyment of really helping people. While I have done one or two things for the purpose of "pleasing adcoms", I actually regret doing them and wish I would have spent my time doing more worthwhile activites.

Back to the main purpose of the topic...directing people in research I do NOT see as leadership experience. I think everyone in lab does that one time or another. Hell, I have to walk my boss through half th **** I do. Research is research...and you might be able to build off one event that happened in lab when you "showed leadership qualities"...I know mt. sinai asks a question about this.

Alas, it is late..and there is a party going on...must resume partying...

Originally posted by relentless11:
[QB]Just curious, how important are leadorship positions QB]

leadorship isn't as importent as spellin' good.