How important are Nitrogen reactions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetsGo352

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
BR goes into detail regarding quite a few mechanisms involving nitrogen in Section 7. Should we memorize the step by step mechanism? Or just know its end product and ultimate concept?

Members don't see this ad.

General mechanisms are the most important imo. Lone pair seeks partial postive charge unless they're tied up in resonance, etc.

No. Glycine, proline, cysteine, histidine, lysine, arginine, glutamate, aspartate are the important ones. So in other words the unique ones - glycine (achiral), proline (cyclic about a-carbon and amine), cysteine (reverse chirality), the basic ones - his, lys, arg, and the acidic ones - glu asp

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Glycine, proline, cysteine, histidine, lysine, arginine, glutamate, aspartate are the important ones. So in other words the unique ones - glycine (achiral), proline (cyclic about a-carbon and amine), cysteine (reverse chirality), the basic ones - his, lys, arg, and the acidic ones - glu asp

Ok thanks. It seems like BR says we have to know a lot more than we actually have to know.

bump. any more opinions on this? There are some complex reactions ive never seen before and im unsure if this is going overboard or not

I've taken the MCAT twice. Don't underestimate orgo. TBR is not that good in Organic, I would go EK (I got a 15 in Bio, bombed the verbal, 13 PS). Let's just say Organic was more important...

I've taken the MCAT twice. Don't underestimate orgo. TBR is not that good in Organic, I would go EK (I got a 15 in Bio, bombed the verbal, 13 PS). Let's just say Organic was more important...
Everyone seems to really endorse tbr in organic in these parts...crap.

Any other input anyone?

So I assume it's vital to recognize the 20 amino acids on the MCAT?

No don't memorize the amino acids. I would recommend knowing which ones are nonpolar/polar. hydrophobic/hydrophilic. aromatic/basic/acidic etc

No don't memorize the amino acids. I would recommend knowing which ones are nonpolar/polar. hydrophobic/hydrophilic. aromatic/basic/acidic etc
May as well memorize...easier than remembering the groupings, because if you know the structures, than you just know the characteristics.
Plus, it's not like it's that much effort to remember 20 things.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone seems to really endorse tbr in organic in these parts...crap.

Any other input anyone?

Okay. The above posts demonstrate why I don't recommend TBR for Organic. TBR states to memorize all the amino acids, be familiar with their structures, pka ranges, etc. That's not what AAMC MCAT tests on. You need to memorize the reactions they require and, most importantly, understand them MECHANISTICALLY. This was the key to my 15 in BS.

If anyone has a tip like mine above for VR, I'd really appreciate it lol. I suck at VR.

Okay. The above posts demonstrate why I don't recommend TBR for Organic. TBR states to memorize all the amino acids, be familiar with their structures, pka ranges, etc. That's not what AAMC MCAT tests on. You need to memorize the reactions they require and, most importantly, understand them MECHANISTICALLY. This was the key to my 15 in BS.

If anyone has a tip like mine above for VR, I'd really appreciate it lol. I suck at VR.
There are multiple places in the FLs where familiarity with the structures of the amino acids makes a huge difference. I've honestly never regretted having memorized something TBR told me to...but then again, for me, memorizing involves understanding something at all of its most basic levels (including, yes, mechanistically). If I don't know it inside and out, I wouldn't count it as memorized.

nitrogen reactions are REAL important. REAL important. like hydrazine, make sure you know what it is and how it reacts.

Last edited:
nitrogen reactions are REAL important. REAL important.
Dude, is it seriously worth risking the AAMC's wrath just to include a very specific detail which is unnecessary in supporting your point?
I know, I know...the odds of being called on it are low, and plenty of people do worse on here, etc. I just don't understand the risk/benefit being worth it, because the benefit is negligible, the risk of being caught is nonzero, and the consequence is tremendous.

Last edited:
Dude, is it seriously worth risking the AAMC's wrath just to include a very specific detail which is unnecessary in supporting your point?
I know, I know...the odds of being called on it are low, and plenty of people do worse on here, etc. I just don't understand the risk/benefit being worth it, because the benefit is negligible, the risk of being caught is nonzero, and the consequence is tremendous.

alright, do me a favor and unquote me. I really didn't think it was THAT specific

alright, do me a favor and unquote me. I really didn't think it was THAT specific
It wasn't a huge deal...but if you read their rules they're pretty general as to what counts as an issue (includes mentioning that any subject was covered on your real exam, nevermind a specific functional group) and it's just not worth it. Not trying to be a stick or anything, sorry