This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Admires

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just start asap.. its relatively easy to find a nonclinical volunteering position compared to clinical volunteering. If you start in January you will have almost 6 months by the time you apply.

Hey, guys. I'm applying this year (I'm going to take my MCAT on march 31st and then retake it in June if I don't like my score). I have over 150 hospital volunteering hours, around 60-70 shadowing hours, and also over 1200 research hours (I've been working in a lab for 4 years since freshman year). Also my GPA is a 3.65 at a grade deflating school (3,5 sGPA).

The only thing I seem to be missing is nonclinical volunteering hours. With MCAT studying, clinical volunteering, a ton of researching, and a little bit of shadowing, it seems I've neglected this portion of my application. Should I try to squeeze them in before I apply?
Some med schools won't care, most will be looking for nonmedical community service, and some won't consider you without it. To give your application the broadest appeal, start something soon. An opportunity that offers off-campus, hands-on service to those most in need for a cause you care about is what you'd want to be looking for. Be sure to continue the effort into the application year, for the sake of Secondary essays, update letters where allowed, and interview questions. And in case you need to reapply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If one of the reasons you are going into medicine is to help people, it behooves you to walk the talk and show that you have helped people in need beyond getting your clinical exposure. A weekly gig in a soup kitchen or food pantry is good as it is a discrete time commitment and you are in and out on a schedule. Before I had kids, I used to hand out sandwiches and coffee for a few hours once a week to homeless folks who came to our church. Similar but less common, diaper bank for needy new parents or a clothing closet that takes referrals from job training programs and helps people select donated professional clothing for interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, because Medicine is a service profession. You need to demonstrate your altruism. Not all patients are nice people.

Hey, guys. I'm applying this year (I'm going to take my MCAT on march 31st and then retake it in June if I don't like my score). I have over 150 hospital volunteering hours, around 60-70 shadowing hours, and also over 1200 research hours (I've been working in a lab for 4 years since freshman year). Also my GPA is a 3.65 at a grade deflating school (3,5 sGPA).

The only thing I seem to be missing is nonclinical volunteering hours. With MCAT studying, clinical volunteering, a ton of researching, and a little bit of shadowing, it seems I've neglected this portion of my application. Should I try to squeeze them in before I apply?