• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

How "important" are personal statements/essays?

la flame

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2018
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I was browsing an old thread and the poster who seemed like an Adcom mentioned how 1% of PS's are extraordinary, 93% are average and 6% are horrible so it's our main job to make sure we are apart of the 93% of average essays. Do you guys think a great PS is a huge factor that could potentially persuade an Adcom to accept a lower-stat student over another one? (assuming everything else is equal) ? I understand it's futile to write your PS in 2 hours and submit it. But I've never been a great writer and the thought of spending over a month on it with drafts is haunting me.

Davidfromcali

7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2014
  1. Medical Student
The PS will not get you into med school but it can definitely keep out.

I think the goal is to write a solid PS to where a screener can read it and clearly understand your motivation for why you want to pursue medicine. If you accomplish that, then you’ve written a great PS.

I think it is pretty rare for a PS alone to warrant a II or acceptance. It’s about being the whole package. But I’ve never sat on a admissions committee so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 users

Sky138

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2019
  1. Medical Student
If you have a well written personal statement that meshes with your activities and letters, I’m sure it can only help if your lacking in any area. That and a well written personal statement can make your interview go a lot smoother. Think about it, if your personal statement stands out and is personal enough it’s readers can truly feel as if they know you, then it should be smooth sailing right? Or that’s how it was for me anyways...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.