How Important Are Pre-Req Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epc11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started out rough with C/B in Chem 1/Retake, B/B+ in Bio 1/2, C/B BioLab 1/2, and B in Calc 1. Then I picked it up with A's in Stat, Chem 2, OChem 1/2 + Labs, and Physics 1/2 + Lab. How important are pre-reqs... as important as other BCPM courses, or more? With a 3.75 cGPA and 3.67 BCPM with an awesome upward trend, do my shortcomings early on really matter? Will a good MCAT make up for low prereq grades?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not always an easy transition to college and it looks like you "figured it out" and that's the most important thing to demonstrate. Self-reflection and an ability to adapt shows maturity. Admissions committees don't expect absolute perfection. You can't change the past, anyway, so just keep making A's and study like crazy for the MCAT. Oh, and don't forget to be a real person, too. Have passions. Have opinions. Pre-med "robots" don't inspire me.

Your mcat score will def make up for it man, you have nothing to worry about. An upward trend is WAY better then a downward trend. Seems to me you figured out your problem and fixed it very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
What they Said.

And how did you GPA manage to get that High with those B's and C's

I started out rough with C/B in Chem 1/Retake, B/B+ in Bio 1/2, C/B BioLab 1/2, and B in Calc 1. Then I picked it up with A's in Stat, Chem 2, OChem 1/2 + Labs, and Physics 1/2 + Lab. How important are pre-reqs... as important as other BCPM courses, or more? With a 3.75 cGPA and 3.67 BCPM with an awesome upward trend, do my shortcomings early on really matter? Will a good MCAT make up for low prereq grades?

Thanks.
You are including every attempt in your GPA calculations, not just the re-takes, right?

You will be fine. Your GPAs are above average for all matriculates, you got A's in the more difficult pre-reqs after figuring out what you did wrong, so if you get an MCAT that reflects your GPA, early C's and B's won't hurt your chances.

That science GPA sounds wayyyy high for having all of those B's and Cs, Especially considering your lower grades were in pre-reqs which usually are worth more semester hours than upper level stuff. Are you sure you calculated it right? I had a similar trend but with less Cs and got no where near where your sGPA is.