How important are supplementary letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oli84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a school (like NYMC) says it's recommended, does that actually say "required"?

In general, are supplementary letters needed to actually have a good shot at getting into a school?

Members don't see this ad.

Help, anyone?

No, it doesn't mean required- but it does mean that it would be better to do so. That way they get more info about you and can make an informed decision. So, I would do it if I were you. Are you having trouble finding someone to write them for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, we need more info! more details of what the question is! :)

Mr Reddly said:
Ya, we need more info! more details of what the question is! :)

haha i thought i was the only one who had no idea what this question was about.. :p

I usually send in extra letters when schools say it is okay to do so. I don't recommend doing it of the extra letters you'd be sending are mediocre.

oli84 said:
When a school (like NYMC) says it's recommended, does that actually say "required"?

In general, are supplementary letters needed to actually have a good shot at getting into a school?

i have same issue.

for people who don't know, NYMC specifically requires a letter from your major. which i don't have.

soreed said:
i have same issue.

for people who don't know, NYMC specifically requires a letter from your major. which i don't have.

I had that problem. I'm a biology major and don't have a letter strictly from my department. I just sent one from a comparable department (molecular bio). Is that an option for you?

I'm having trouble finding someone who will write a supplementary letter because I'm not sure whether these people know me enough to write one. And since I'm thinking that, then they probably don't. :)

I'm not sure if the guys who posted above got it, but I'm talking about additional letters other than the LORs.

Wait, NYMC requires letters from your major only for the supplemental letters right?

UCLAstudent said:
I had that problem. I'm a biology major and don't have a letter strictly from my department. I just sent one from a comparable department (molecular bio). Is that an option for you?

nope, my only science ones are from chem. i'm bio major. i need to call them. unless someone else already has?

yea, i have the same problem because my major is spanish and most of the teachers that i had, were not professors. So would it mean anything if it was from a graduate teaching instructor or do adcom look down on those LOR's?

Little off subject, but HEY purplekat! That Kat in your avatar doesn't look very purple to me. :p

Mr Reddly said:
Little off subject, but HEY purplekat! That Kat in your avatar doesn't look very purple to me. :p
yea i know, but he's sooooo cute!