How important are these Orgo topics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkcadillac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to master concepts on isomerism (constitutional isomers, stereoisomers, enantiomers, diasteromers, optical activity chirality, epimers, meso compounds, anomers, etc? Will you need to identify isomers on the MCAT? Can I just skip this section and go to SN1/SN2, E1/E2 reactions?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you definitely need to know how to distinguish between all of the different types of isomers and all of the vocabulary that goes with it.

Stop trying to take shortcuts with O-chem. Study ALL of the O-chem material in your test prep book.

haha...yea unfortunately you need to know all of it. I was hit with a passage on the MCAT that tested to knowledge of one of the most unpopular topics in organic, but because I focused so much on it during organic 2 I was barely able to memorize it:confused:. Just be an expert. I know for a fact though that isomerism is extremely popular on the MCAT. There was at least one on each AAMC practice exam.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty easy to memorize, just take the hour to master the differences between them all.

How important is it to master concepts on isomerism (constitutional isomers, stereoisomers, enantiomers, diasteromers, optical activity chirality, epimers, meso compounds, anomers, etc? Will you need to identify isomers on the MCAT? Can I just skip this section and go to SN1/SN2, E1/E2 reactions?

Thanks

All of these topics are great fodder for multiple choice questions and extremely important to know. I'd second SN2's advice in just bearing down and learning everything in your test prep book.

Thanks

I don't even know what that crap is.