How important are this semester's grades for applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrownwithCoke

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are grades for this semester for us seniors that are applying? I'm sure that a 4.0 will help, but will something like a 3.5 or 3.4 hurt? I am currently borderline A/B in a lot of my classes, and I'm getting a little worried. I've had two interviews but no acceptances and haven't heard back from any other schools yet. What do you guys think??

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread about this earlier. I would think that a 3.4 or so would be fine. Some schools tell you explicitly to maintain certain grades. I would expect schools to want your grades to not drop, but I'm sure that if they drop a bit and you have a good explanation such as "I had interviews to go to," admissions committees would be understanding. They're human. Well, most of them.

I think the best philosophy is to do the best you can - maybe that's a 4.0, or maybe that's less - but if you end up on waitlists, you'll want to have good grades to show off.

Maintain your grades, but I'm sure there is some latitude. If you are a 4.0 student, a 3.5 won't kill you. For example, UVA says that acceptances are contingent on:

Receive a C, it needs to be explained in writing.
Receive a D, file is up for review again.

So, all B's would be just fine!