How important is Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about taking Anatomy over the summer and I was wondering how important is this subject in pharmacy school. Thank you for your inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomy is required by UF. I did ask them why and they said that it helped students with the Physiological Basis of Disease class. In order to learn about diseases that affect the body, it helps to understand the body or at least know what they are talking about.

I took Anatomy I this semester and I'll be taking Anatomy II over the summer. It's an easy A course. Take it if you need to boost your GPA, or if you haven't taken any zoology courses.

You can do fine in pharmacy school with only a moderate knowledge of anatomy. Our first semester, we took a combined anatomy and physiology class that served me well throughout pharm school

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Anatomy I this semester and I'll be taking Anatomy II over the summer. It's an easy A course. Take it if you need to boost your GPA, or if you haven't taken any zoology courses.

Wow. YOu're cool. I thought anatomy was hard as hell. I took a comparative vert anat class at u-dub and it sucked a#$. The lab was open twenty-four hours a day. Especially wet lab, sucked, sucked, sucked. that was the last class i needed to graduate and it turned out to be horrendous. People would bring lunches and stay all day in the smelly lab. They would work in groups of three or four and just quiz the crap out of ea other. I wasn't into the group thing, so that made it even rougher.

Most of our entire second year is "Therapeutic Disease State Management" and "Pharmacotherapy". It's probably a good idea to have a little more than a "cursory" knowledge of anatomy beyond simply organ systems for these types of classes. My school doesn't require anatomy/physiology coursework as a prerequisite for admission to the school, but having had that coursework for my undergrad has come in handy for me, so far.

Kansas requires pharm students to have had both anatomy and physiology. If I were you, I'd check with the schools you're applying to and see what they require.

Anatomy is definitely not as important as physiology or systems physiology. If you ask most pharmacist where the cranial nerves are located they wouldn't be able to tell you since most pharmacist don't have to deal with anatomy in their daily practice. However pharmacotherapy all depends on a good working knowledge of physilogy and pathophysiology. Just try to get a good grade in anatomy but most pharmacist will forget everything they've learned in anatomy by the time they graduate.

Yeah, I agree with rutpharm. Unless your school requires you to take an anatomy course, then I wouldn't worry about it, as you will learn all the anatomy you need in pharmacy school. Physiology is much more important than anatomical knowledge for a pharmacist.

Originally posted by BMBiology
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about taking Anatomy over the summer and I was wondering how important is this subject in pharmacy school. Thank you for your inputs.

If you've had Anatomy in high school then you should be fine, but I don't think it is necessary push your schedule. I'd say that Anatomy is to help you learn your Physiology. I think it is better to learn these basics. I had Anatomy&Physiology in high school, and I took it again in college. I had a great teacher; we had cadavers to work with for 2 semesters. I enjoyed it. ;)

For undergrad at my school, I had an option to take either Anatomy or Physiology. I chose Physiology and was very glad that I did so. The reason is that during the 1st semester of my 1st year in pharmacy school, Physiology was one of the courses, so it helped tremendously to have some background from undergrad..... :D

How important is it? I remember my ap1 lab professor said that this wasone of the hardest and most important courses in the college to going into the health field.

nah, Im just curious if anyone esle had the same quote.
My professor was probably over glorifying the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is it with everyone bumping old threads lately?!? ... oops

maybe because when they ask a question people will bitch and say use the search function. the same people will then complain about people bumping old threads.

makes sense...

I am currently taking A&P (it is a combined course). Our professor says it is one of the hardest classes and he also said if you are in health programs you have to take this class. At least I can somehow guarantee 15%-20% of the PCAT biology score and to get rid of this class before August .. I have my first exam this Monday 50 multiple choices over the first 6 chapters A&P book :D .. I need to buy a human skull! heh

I started taking Anatomy this week and realized by Wednesday that there was no way I could get an A taking this during the summer. (I have 3 kids and am volunteering in a pharmacy). I don't know who said this class was easy, but I didn't think so, and I've aced all my prereqs so far. It was a hard decision to drop it b/c now I have to push back my pharm school application an entire year. I know it will be worth it in the long run, though.

I'm actually glad this got bumped... I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about forgetting my anatomy over the summer but what to make sure that would be OK. I'm gonna go for it.

maybe because when they ask a question people will bitch and say use the search function. the same people will then complain about people bumping old threads.

makes sense...
Exactly

Anatomy is required by UF. I did ask them why and they said that it helped students with the Physiological Basis of Disease class. In order to learn about diseases that affect the body, it helps to understand the body or at least know what they are talking about.

Easy A? I heard it was really, really hard from one of my high school teachers, but she taught English, so maybe that's why she thought so.

How important is it? I remember my ap1 lab professor said that this wasone of the hardest and most important courses in the college to going into the health field.

They lied.. especially about it being the hardest... Anatomy is just memorizing where things go... how hard is that?

200 and a few extra bones is the hardest thing in the whole class.

Easy A? I heard it was really, really hard from one of my high school teachers, but she taught English, so maybe that's why she thought so.

It depends on how well you can memorize. I hear this is a good skill for pharmacy school, too, so maybe if it's an easy A for you this is a good sign.

I haven't taken A&P yet, but that class is notoriously one of the toughest classes at my university. I don't think it would be one of the toughest if it was just memorization...unless there was a ridiculous amount to remember. Also the professor is really difficult so that might be a part of it.

There is a difference in an anatomy class... and an anatomy/physiology class. I think some schools do them together (as mine did) and others do them completely seperately.

When I took the classes they were combined so you would learn where the thing in the body are located.. and what they do/how they work at the same time so it was quite a bit of info.

and everybody freaks out about the bone practical but honestly it's not that big of a deal if you put some time into learning it.

Physiology is not just memorizing.. thats what can make it hard. Anatomy is a joke class in my opinion.. but physiology is much more interesting.

I haven't taken A&P yet, but that class is notoriously one of the toughest classes at my university. I don't think it would be one of the toughest if it was just memorization...unless there was a ridiculous amount to remember. Also the professor is really difficult so that might be a part of it.

Exactly.