MD How Important is being Magna Cum Laude?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoManyMedQuestions

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a position where I can have a really stressful and busy senior year at a UC and end up in magna cum laude. Do med schools even care about that? It would just be bells and whistles so I'm wondering if its worth it. Currently at a 3.7, depending on how hard I work it can be a 3.77 or 3.79-3.8.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated Magna cum laude and didn't even include it in my application. Don't think it really matters - I think the GPA number itself is more important.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a position where I can have a really stressful and busy senior year at a UC and end up in magna cum laude. Do med schools even care about that? It would just be bells and whistles so I'm wondering if its worth it. Currently at a 3.7, depending on how hard I work it can be a 3.77 or 3.79-3.8.
I don't pay attention to it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't pay attention to it.
Bells and whistles. 3.77 vs. 3.79 or 3.80 is splitting hairs. Use the time to get hospice volunteering or something like that. The magna cum laude distinction is almost meaningless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Med school won't care if you gain this designation. If you have something to prove to yourself, then go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Bells and whistles. 3.75 vs. 3.79 is splitting hairs. Use the time to get hospice volunteering or something like that. The magna cum laude distinction is almost meaningless.
Med school won't care if you gain this designation. If you have something to prove to yourself, then go for it.
I think you totally read my mind here....