How important is biochem for admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noobguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed on the CIB that many schools strongly recommend biochemistry. I haven't had it. Other than the few schools that absolutely require it, how important is it for admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on the school. Some schools require it and some don't. You won't get outright denied for not having it.

100+ views, I figured someone needed to answer you.

Members don't see this ad :)
its just highly recommended because it is useful to have some sort of background before taking the course in med school. If you have a good app and have a solid interview, a lack of biochem will not make a difference, unless it is required of course.

I would say take it if you can. It can't hurt...

During the Touro-NV interview day the admissions guy said that even though biochem is not required it is really helpful to have been exposed to it before starting your first year. He even mentioned that they are thinking about making it a requirement for that very reason.

With competition increasing every year I would think that more and more schools will being making it a requirement.

I would say take it if you can. It can't hurt...

During the Touro-NV interview day the admissions guy said that even though biochem is not required it is really helpful to have been exposed to it before starting your first year. He even mentioned that they are thinking about making it a requirement for that very reason.

With competition increasing every year I would think that more and more schools will being making it a requirement.

Of course, a few guys that I talked to on admissions committees in the past said to not waste your time with biochem until medical school. Until they come out with research showing that it helps, I'd be surprised. Most people will take the biochem class by their Junior year. If that happened, you could be 2 or 3 years removed before you even dive back into a far more indepth version. I have a friend in medical school now that couldn't remember what an aldehyde was and he was only 7 months removed. I think they like to believe that it helps, but it really doesn't do TOO much. If it is biochem with a medical/human focus then it MIGHT help a little bit.

I'm taking it, but I have to for several florida schools.

This is the biochem that i am taking. IMO waaaaaaay more interesting than the regular biology/chemistry biochem. THis one is a kines course (my major)

306. BIOCHEMISTRY OF EXERCISE AND ENERGY.
Energy sources for human movement; substrate and energy metabolism during exercise; liver, skeletal, and cardiac muscle adaptations to acute and chronic exercise training. The role of diet and exercise in disease development and prevention is also covered. Prerequisites: Chemistry 220 and Kinesiology 307.

I have a friend in medical school now that couldn't remember what an aldehyde was and he was only 7 months removed.

I can't wait for the day I don't need to know what an aldehyde is ... :(