How important is choice of undergrad school to dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jas1091

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it actually matter if i attend a great college for biology or not? i currently have a 3.6 GPA in community college and have one full semester left and will be trying to end with a 3.8/9 GPA. Should I aim to attend a notable school like UCLA, Berkeley, John Hopkins, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it actually matter if i attend a great college for biology or not? i currently have a 3.6 GPA in community college and have one full semester left and will be trying to end with a 3.8/9 GPA. Should I aim to attend a notable school like UCLA, Berkeley, John Hopkins, etc?

What 4 year school you go to really doesn't matter, unless you feel the experience at one of those fancy schools is something you want to pay for (or research experience if you want to go the DDS/PhD route) save some money and go to a state school or school that offers you a ton of scholarship money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to where ever is cheapest. Or wherever you think is the easiest to get a good GPA. a 4.0 looks better from a state school than a 3.5 from John Hopkins. At least in my eyes. Main reason should be cost you will have lots of loans to come.

If you plan on pursuing banking, then you better be aiming for an ivy. Period.

For science degrees it is a bit different. If you want to save a little money, then, yes, go to the cheapest school, but if you want more opportunity and truly want to go to the institution that is noted for their biology program then go to Johns Hopkins, etc.