how important is class rank?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by birdman, Jun 17, 2002.

1. I just finishe my first year and then consensus that I get from students and faculty is that rank means nothing. Although I have heard from others that it does? What is the deal?

2. LaCirujana

LaCirujana Smoking Gun
    7+ Year Member

My school didn't even have class ranks (or AOA), which I think is the case at a lot of places, especially those with a Pass/Fail grading system. I don't think it is all that important--it certainly didn't make a difference in my residency interview/match process.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For the most part, class rank does not significantly contribute to residency matching. However, like most things there are always exceptions - all else being equal (which they never are), someone at the top of his class at a well-regarded school will generally match better than someone who is at the bottom of his class at a lower tier school.

If you had to choose, spend more time worrying about getting honors in the clerkships in your chosen specialty and doing well on USMLE Step 1 than being the highest ranked in your class.

4. LaCirujana

LaCirujana Smoking Gun
    7+ Year Member

I should clarify my above post: the intended point was that the fact that my school did not have rankings did not affect my residency/match process. I agree with Kimberli completely that doing well on Step 1 and getting honors in your clinical clerkships is important--that DOES make a difference (and did affect my match--positively :D ).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...