how important is class rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

birdman

I just finishe my first year and then consensus that I get from students and faculty is that rank means nothing. Although I have heard from others that it does? What is the deal?

Members don't see this ad.

My school didn't even have class ranks (or AOA), which I think is the case at a lot of places, especially those with a Pass/Fail grading system. I don't think it is all that important--it certainly didn't make a difference in my residency interview/match process.

For the most part, class rank does not significantly contribute to residency matching. However, like most things there are always exceptions - all else being equal (which they never are), someone at the top of his class at a well-regarded school will generally match better than someone who is at the bottom of his class at a lower tier school.

If you had to choose, spend more time worrying about getting honors in the clerkships in your chosen specialty and doing well on USMLE Step 1 than being the highest ranked in your class.

I should clarify my above post: the intended point was that the fact that my school did not have rankings did not affect my residency/match process. I agree with Kimberli completely that doing well on Step 1 and getting honors in your clinical clerkships is important--that DOES make a difference (and did affect my match--positively :D ).