How important is clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uisa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went for an orientation at a huge hospital for a volunteering position, it seemed as if the volunteering there meant that I was going to file folders and rarely get to speak to or see any of the patients. Plus the orientation lady specifically stated that the hospital had more than enough volunteers... :rolleyes:

After hearing numerous things about safe-guarding patient info and all other office job formalities, I came to a conclusion that this was NOT the volunteering I wanted to do. I'm not trying to say one volunteering is superior than another, but I want to do something I'm more passionate about, such as getting to talk to the elderly, affecting the patients in some positive way and generally, at a less company-like environment.

Therefore, I was wondering if any of you knew how important it is, when I'm applying to medical school, that I have specific volunteering for medically related activities? Of course I want to gain that experience, but not through filing papers and folders (I can do that at office max)... and if you have any suggestions on what I may be looking for?

PS. I have shadowed couple doctors (spanning around 2 weeks each), was an author of a paper, and worked at a research/cell culture lab for the past 2 1/2 years, so I am not completely without any med experience... just not much patient ones.

FOOT NOTES: Went to volunteering orientation at hospital, did not like what I heard, want to do volunteering at a more personal level, what might be a good place?

Members don't see this ad.

Doing something clinical, to show that you know a little bit of what healthcare and medicine are about is important for your application. From what you're describing, besides taking place in a hospital, this volunteering wouldn't have been clinical anyway. Your other experiences will help somewhat on this front.

If it's not for you I think you should definitely go out and find something else. Not knowing where you are, I really can't recommend anything, but you should talk to some of the pre-meds at your school and see what they've been up to. If it sounds good, check it out.

Went to volunteering orientation at hospital, did not like what I heard, want to do volunteering at a more personal level, what might be a good place?

Clinical volunteering does not necessarily have to happen as a "hospital volunteer." Instead, you might want to investigate hospices, Children's Miracle Network, nursing homes, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
And family planning clinics and free clinics and the public health department where they do children's checkups and shots. You could also be a suicide hotline volunteer, or maybe be a peer educator for those students involved in drug or alcohol abuse and recovery. Or, is there a free needle exchange program for addicts in your area? What about volunteering in a physical therapy practice?

Yeah thanks for the replies guys, I actually am going to check out a hospice this weekend. Looks like they'll offer me something that I'm looking for.

doesn't matter where, for your own benefit, do as much as you can to a reasonable level

Psychiatric hospitals are another good thing to look into, if you're interested in that stuff.

Psychiatric hospitals are another good thing to look into, if you're interested in that stuff.

That they are, but it definitely requires the right kind of person to work in them! I worked in a couple, though, and it was really interesting and actually a lot of fun sometimes.