How important is dental experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a newly converted premed to predent who needs information. I have just started to gain some dental experience. Is this a huge part in the selecting requirement? Any tips to have more success to shadow or work for a dentist? And anyone gets interview or secondaries from UCLA?

Members don't see this ad.

Dental experience is certainly important, and it can be easily and persuasively argued that it is most important for YOU as an applicant.

Dentistry is like entering a medical specialty upon beginning dental school. Medical students have the luxury of rotating through different field prior to matching -- dental students are choose the dental specialty just by enrolling.

The observation time is a great time to find out more about the field and your likes/dislikes. It is also a great time to pay attention to how the office is run and for you to make mental notes about the things you would change if it were your practice.

Unless you are in the 99th percentile of applicants on DAT's and GPA, dental experience is essential. Some schools require a certain amount (with a signed form). Some schools will not accept ANY students with out some experience. But, like Gavin, I think that you will benefit from experience more than your application will.

Essentially every applicant is going to have some experience under their belt. Some applicants will have have "show me" experience, random shadowing here and there. Realistically, just enough to "look interested." Others, will have extensive experience, such as years of working, some even as hygenists etc. Extensive experience can make a mediocre application into something special. "Show me" experience will not do much other than tell the school you arent applying just for fun.

Back to how it benefits you, consider this: you will not graduate with every student you started dental with. But, dental schools will be quick to tell you that the students that leave did so because they ended up not liking dentistry. NYU, which drops a certain percentage automatically, is the exception here.

I would hate to be 160,000 in debt as a D3, when clinics start, only to realize that looking at mouths all day isnt going to work.

Get some good experience. If you really enjoy dentistry, it won't be a chore. Don't cook me for saying this, but I feel that any person willing to make a decision as big as choosing dentistry as a career should be so intrigued and excited by the profession as to search out opportunites regardless of whether or not it would help an application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had no experience (shadowing or assisting) and I was not in the 99 percentile. Shadowing is great to get a feel for what being a dentist is like and what type of environment you would like to work in (group, solo, HMO, FFS, Hospital).

Thx for your replies.

I have already started to volunteer for a free clinic and I love it there. Since I am applying now, would it be too late to gain more experience?

Also, I am a CA resident and am applying to UCLA, UCSF, University of Maryland, and USC. I am not in the 99 percentile.
Though I have a 3.72 GPA in bioengineering, with minor in psychology, and DAT: PAT 18, Academic 22.

What I worry about is my PAT score and the minimal amount of dental experience. Should I retake the DAT just for PAT section?

I also have a solid background on research, which is probably a big boost to UCLA, UCSF.

Since I really love staying in Southern CA, could you recommend anything else I should do to increase my chance of getting in?