How important is experience with "manual dexterity"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthstudent69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all of you guys that applied wrote down some experience with manual dexterity on your app?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people will write down something for the sake of writing it. However, I don't necessarily think what you write matters all that much. Most schools believe you can learn the manual dexterity part while you're in school. In most of my interviews, my interviewers didn't even ask about my manual dexterity. The ones that did, I just told them whatever I wrote on my application and it was sufficient.

I was asked in one interview. Then I just stared at my hands for a second and sort of moved my fingers as if to say, "My hands? What about them? They work." And then we went on to the next question.

You should put something. You'll see how far-fetched things become when the next application cycle comes around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I said that used to play a lot of computer games, mainly first person shooters, and that it built my fast twitch motor skills/hand eye coordination. Lol a load of bs on one side, yet oddly true on another. It wasn't like I played video games with the intention of being a dentist, but inevitably you have done something with your hands besides writing (playing an instrument, crafts, etc). Just put something down, its not gonna be the deciding factor of whether you get in or not.

I put down piano and tennis, neither of which really have any real correlation to manual dexterity for dentistry imo. However, they made for great talking points.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I used manual dexterity section to add unique things that would be interesting to talk about at interviews. The topics came up at majority of interviews, so it seemed to work.