how important is getting H/HP in surgery for matching anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLCoolK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently on my surgery rotation, and I absolutely hate it. I hate almost everything about it. I've never wanted to study less for a block. My question is, how important is getting a good grade in surgery for matching a top anesthesia program? My step 1 is 250+ and I should get honors or high pass on all my other rotations (hopefully).
Turn back now, all hope is lost!

If your grades are really what you say, use your big brains and do a 30 second search of other threads on this board. You will instantly realize that you have nothing to worry about. Just put your head down, don't make any enemies, and get through it.

However, you should consider that if you go into anesthesiology, you will be working with surgeons every day. If you hate surgery that much, why anesthesia?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
that's the biggest thing holding me back from going 100% anesthesia. some surgeons are great but some are just terrible human beings. there are some that treat anesthesiologists like ****, saying "they're always ruining everything."

I tried a search but couldn't find a specific answer. thank you for the response!
From what I understand, that's par for the course for the medical profression. Every specialty bags on the others. Just gotta ignore the haters.

Honestly, it's not that important. If you're a solid student with good Step scores than I suspect you'll do well during the rotation.

Last year I can't even remember anyone's surgery rotation grade, it doesn't really play much of a role.

Also, you'd be surprised at how different the schools are in grade distributions. Most MSPEs have them in their packets, and it's fairly profound. "High pass" or above can approach 2/3 of students, which can make it essentially meaningless.

I too hated surgery but still did well in it - a key med student skill is learning how to do well in rotations you don't like. I think the keys to surgery are to show you are paying attention, i.e. Having the scissors at the ready when they finish tying a knot, and doing well on the shelf if your school counts that as part of the grade.

That said, with mostly good grades and a good step 1 you won't have a problem in this field.

Reactions: 1 user