1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How important is Graduate school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by BioMaxDDS, Aug 11, 2006.

1. BioMaxDDS

BioMaxDDS It will come true
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm in a really tough situation right now =/

I just recently got accepted to 2 graduate schools for biology. One is Georgia Institute Of Technology, and the other one is Georgia State University. I'm having a really tough time deciding which school I should go to.

GaTech: Its a tier one school. More people know about it. However it is a tech school, and their Biology program isn't that good.

GSU: A state school. Less well known in the country. Their biology program is a little better than GaTech.

I'm pretty confident I can get around 3.8(GPA) from GSU by the time I graduate, and probably only a 3.2 from Gatech. Now, how important is the school I go to for graduate? Which one do you guys think dental school look at more? School or grades (also consider the fact that gatech is a tech school)?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've been thinking about it for about a week now, and I have to make the decision by today.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think they'd care more about your grades and DAT score.

4. dmonee6

dmonee6 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm going to have to agree with aggie-master here. I was in the same situation. I was rejected from all dental schools during the '05 cycle... and I decided to go to grad school. I was accepted to Boston University's M.A. in Medical Sciences and Barry University's M.S. in Biomedical Sciences. Boston is a more well known school, but i was afraid that i wouldn't get a great GPA from there because it would be very difficult and had large classes like they did at UF (i did poorly at UF). I chose Barry University, a small private school, and after my first 24 credits i have a GPA of 3.85. I believe that I have received my first interview to a dental school due to my GPA... i say go to the school where you'll be able to get better grades. Worked for me so far

5. BioMaxDDS

BioMaxDDS It will come true
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hey thanks for the replies.
    I was thinking the same way :D