How important is Graduate school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioMaxDDS

It will come true
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a really tough situation right now =/

I just recently got accepted to 2 graduate schools for biology. One is Georgia Institute Of Technology, and the other one is Georgia State University. I'm having a really tough time deciding which school I should go to.

GaTech: Its a tier one school. More people know about it. However it is a tech school, and their Biology program isn't that good.

GSU: A state school. Less well known in the country. Their biology program is a little better than GaTech.

I'm pretty confident I can get around 3.8(GPA) from GSU by the time I graduate, and probably only a 3.2 from Gatech. Now, how important is the school I go to for graduate? Which one do you guys think dental school look at more? School or grades (also consider the fact that gatech is a tech school)?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've been thinking about it for about a week now, and I have to make the decision by today.

Members don't see this ad.

aggie-master said:
I think they'd care more about your grades and DAT score.

I'm going to have to agree with aggie-master here. I was in the same situation. I was rejected from all dental schools during the '05 cycle... and I decided to go to grad school. I was accepted to Boston University's M.A. in Medical Sciences and Barry University's M.S. in Biomedical Sciences. Boston is a more well known school, but i was afraid that i wouldn't get a great GPA from there because it would be very difficult and had large classes like they did at UF (i did poorly at UF). I chose Barry University, a small private school, and after my first 24 credits i have a GPA of 3.85. I believe that I have received my first interview to a dental school due to my GPA... i say go to the school where you'll be able to get better grades. Worked for me so far

hey thanks for the replies.
I was thinking the same way :D