How important is graduating from a highly ranked school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missybitsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry that I'm asking a question that might have been asked a few times in the past. I'm in a tough spot right now and I really need your advice. I was recently accepted to University of Kentucky, UK, which is ranked 5th nationally, and Sullivan University, which is a relatively new 3-year program. Both are accredited. UK is about 2 hours away while Sullivan is 20 min away. The distance is the issue for me because I have a family that I can't leave behind. So my question is, does it matter much which school I graduate from if my goal is to pursue a residency? I was worried that graduating from Sullivan would give me a disadvantage in landing a good job.

Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry that I'm asking a question that might have been asked a few times in the past. I'm in a tough spot right now and I really need your advice. I was recently accepted to University of Kentucky, UK, which is ranked 5th nationally, and Sullivan University, which is a relatively new 3-year program. Both are accredited. UK is about 2 hours away while Sullivan is 20 min away. The distance is the issue for me because I have a family that I can't leave behind. So my question is, does it matter much which school I graduate from if my goal is to pursue a residency? I was worried that graduating from Sullivan would give me a disadvantage in landing a good job.

Have you checked or asked for the residency placement rate from each school? I am sure both programs will be able to give you a definitive answer and then make your choice from there.

If you search the forums or even google "importance of pharmacy school ranking" you will find out the rankings don't mean much. However, you need to look at what each school provides personally for you. I don't know anything about both these schools, but you need to think about if you 1. are going into research (maybe Kentucky has more research opportunities) 2. see which school has a higher residency matching rate 3. see which school has a better NAPLEX pass rate/first time graduation rate 4. Are you planning to live in Kentucky after school? If so, then you have to think about how big the "alumni" is in that state for UKentucky or Sullivan school (because this might help/not help you find a job depending on which school you go to.) 5. Which school is cheaper to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
A "better" school will likely have more 4th year rotation options and perhaps more job placement connections. This is possibly important if you want to do a residency or be a clinical pharmacist. If you simply want to be a "normal" pharmacist and do retail / staff hospital, school rank doesn't matter. Go with what fits your personal situation best.

Reactions: 1 user
UK is about 2 hours away while Sullivan is 20 min away. The distance is the issue for me because I have a family that I can't leave behind. So my question is, does it matter much which school I graduate from if my goal is to pursue a residency? I was worried that graduating from Sullivan would give me a disadvantage in landing a good job.

You can't or you don't want to leave your family behind? If you can't, then go to Sullivan or commute to UK.

It looks like you already know which school you want to go lol make sure to do some further research on two schools.

Rankings dont matter in a world where everyone is made equal... of course when you find that world, I really do have a bridge to sell you. Its not fair, nor is it appropriate that rank matters - I say a good candidate is a good candidate because of what the individual has accomplished... but thats just not the world we live in.

1) DONT focus on rankings but DO focus on what the school can do for you. Not all schools are made equal. And in a general sense, higher ranked schools tend to offer a different, wider range of possibilities. Again, there are obvious exceptions. Rutgers, MCP, and USP offer more opportunities than most other schools if you want to end up in the pharmaceutical industry - and none of them are top 25.

2) DONT fall into the trap thinking residencies are equally accessible. Many well respected residency peograms simply dont interview candidates from non-ranked schools. This doesnt mean you cant land a residency, jusy that some programs will be off limits.

3) DONT think that all classmates are equal. Surround yourself with people who challenge you to do your best. Those people gravitate towards excellence in any measure.

This is not to imply that you cannot get a job if you dont choose Kentucky. Now that the employment situation has changed where the employer has the upper hand and receives hundreds of applicants per job, do you really think they spend more than a cursory few seconds skimming each one? Nope. So they create their own mental filters. But the reality is that you need your star to shine just a touch brighter. Again, its not fair, but that IS the world we live in.

Last edited:
I would go with UK. I know that Sullivan is 2 hours away but UK has a much better reputation, the largest pharmacy building in the country, a hospital, better research oppur, along with many other things. I am also sure that Sullivan is undergoing the process to become accredited, that is a very huge factor. By the way, I have no affiliation to UK other than I have a friend that is in Pharmacy School there.

You can't or you don't want to leave your family behind? If you can't, then go to Sullivan or commute to UK.

A 4 hour commute (2 each way) is not practical.

To the OP, I suggest you go to University of Kentucky.

You would have extremely little family time in a 3 year accelerated program anyway.

A 4 hour commute (2 each way) is not practical.

To the OP, I suggest you go to University of Kentucky.

You would have extremely little family time in a 3 year accelerated program anyway.

The OP did say she/he can't leave her/his family. The long commute would be the sacrifice the OP would have to make if she/he lives at home and goes to UK. The 4 hour commute can be reduced to 2 hour commute if the OP's family is willing to compromise by relocating midway from where the OP originally lives and UK.

The OP did say she/he can't leave her/his family. The long commute would be the sacrifice the OP would have to make if she/he lives at home and goes to UK. The 4 hour commute can be reduced to 2 hour commute if the OP's family is willing to compromise by relocating midway from where the OP originally lives and UK.

Come on man this isn't going to work. Have you tried a commute or a road trip this long? Imagine doing it every day. No, it wouldn't work.

Come on man this isn't going to work. Have you tried a commute or a road trip this long? Imagine doing it every day. No, it wouldn't work.

Carpooling helps. I've done the 2 hours commute daily before. It's def doable. I know some people travel longer than two hours daily to work via the carpooling option.

Carpooling helps. I've done the 2 hours commute daily before. It's def doable. I know some people travel longer than two hours daily to work via the carpooling option.

If I ever get on an admissions committee board I will auto fail people with terrible reading comprehension PCAT scores for just this reason:

It's a FOUR HOUR COMMUTE DAILY, TWO HOURS EACH WAY.

If I ever get on an admissions committee board I will auto fail people with terrible reading comprehension PCAT scores for just this reason:

It's a FOUR HOUR COMMUTE DAILY, TWO HOURS EACH WAY.

No need to be rude. I understood what you meant. Plus, you were vague. You said, "Come on man this isn't going to work." Were you referring to the four hours daily commute or the two hours daily commute I suggested by relocation? I did also add that I know people that have traveled longer than two hours daily to work.

No need to be rude. I understood what you meant. Plus, you were vague. You said, "Come on man this isn't going to work." Were you referring to the four hours daily commute or the two hours daily commute I suggested by relocation? I did also add that I know people that have traveled longer than two hours daily to work.

Are you the same type of person who counsels a student who has a 2.8 GPA to go back to school for another 4 years and earn another BS degree? Because there ARE people who have done it before...