How Important is $ in deciding medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry yeah that was unclear...40k a year

Holy frickin' bejesus. Ceeej, I hope you chose the SUNY school and never looked back. If that were the difference for your entire medical education, that'd be one thing, but the tuition difference for 4 years here is nearly the cost of my house.

Members don't see this ad.

I had 2 options and chose the school that will cost $80,000 more over 4 years (not including interest) and I'm really happy with the decision. One school is in a rural location where my girlfriend of 3 years wouldn't be able to find a job in her field. I felt like my quality of life over 4 years would be a lot higher at the more expensive school for this reason (among other reasons) and was willing to pay more for that. I don't think the money factor is as black and white as many people in this thread are making it out to be.

I had 2 options and chose the school that will cost $80,000 more over 4 years (not including interest) and I'm really happy with the decision. One school is in a rural location where my girlfriend of 3 years wouldn't be able to find a job in her field. I felt like my quality of life over 4 years would be a lot higher at the more expensive school for this reason (among other reasons) and was willing to pay more for that. I don't think the money factor is as black and white as many people in this thread are making it out to be.

I am in a very similar situation - two schools with a cost difference of 70-80K over 4 years (not including accrued interest). I want to go to the more expensive school, but I have a hard time justifying the cost. Both are good schools, with respective pros and cons, but either way I am getting the same degree and an excellent education, so why pay more for the same thing?

What scares me is the unknown in the situation. I think I will be happier in one school, but I might end up not liking it. On the flip side, I can think I will be less happy at the other school, and end up loving it. The extra debt could be totally manageable, or it could make my future life much harder. My boyfriend might come with me to one school (but not the other), but then we could break up anyways.

People tell me it's good to have choices, but really, I can't decided. I wish I could see the future

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a very similar situation - two schools with a cost difference of 70-80K over 4 years (not including accrued interest). I want to go to the more expensive school, but I have a hard time justifying the cost. Both are good schools, with respective pros and cons, but either way I am getting the same degree and an excellent education, so why pay more for the same thing?

What scares me is the unknown in the situation. I think I will be happier in one school, but I might end up not liking it. On the flip side, I can think I will be less happy at the other school, and end up loving it. The extra debt could be totally manageable, or it could make my future life much harder. My boyfriend might come with me to one school (but not the other), but then we could break up anyways.

People tell me it's good to have choices, but really, I can't decided. I wish I could see the future

It's pretty simple. Going to the cheaper school will in no foreseeable way screw you. Going to the more expensive school might screw you. No foreseeable way > might. Go to the cheaper school.

Happiness in medical school is something they try and sell you in the brochure. You're going to be studying your ass off for 2 years, disappear into the hospital for 1.5 years, interview like Hell, and then spend 3-4 months blasted drunk. Congratulations, Dr. devolution. Were you happy?

I think you have to ask yourself how much the reasons to go to the more expensive school cost. If those reasons cost more than 70-80K, you should go there. If not you should go to the other one. Uncertainty can also be calculated into this as well.

How about if it's between a DO school that costs 18k/yr and an OOS MD school that costs ~50k/yr, with a difference of ~30k/y, and overall total difference of 120k+ after 4 yerasr?

I would think the choice depends on choice of speciality one would go into. If going for primary care, DO would have no problem, but if going for competitive specialties, DO students potentially face discrimination when applying and it's more straining to have to take both COMPLEX and USMLE.

How about if it's between a DO school that costs 18k/yr and an OOS MD school that costs ~50k/yr, with a difference of ~30k/y, and overall total difference of 120k+ after 4 yerasr?

I would think the choice depends on choice of speciality one would go into. If going for primary care, DO would have no problem, but if going for competitive specialties, DO students potentially face discrimination when applying and it's more straining to have to take both COMPLEX and USMLE.

Cheaper school always. I went to a DO school (saved $40k/yr), matched ortho, took the COMLEX only...so no regrets. But you should listen to the pre-med, they know more.

Cheaper school always. I went to a DO school (saved $40k/yr), matched ortho, took the COMLEX only...so no regrets. But you should listen to the pre-med, they know more.
I would think you as a resident know more! Thanks, this is an encouraging example. I wouldn't want high debt to restrict my choice of going into primary care or specialied care.

It's pretty simple. Going to the cheaper school will in no foreseeable way screw you. Going to the more expensive school might screw you. No foreseeable way > might. Go to the cheaper school.

Happiness in medical school is something they try and sell you in the brochure. You're going to be studying your ass off for 2 years, disappear into the hospital for 1.5 years, interview like Hell, and then spend 3-4 months blasted drunk. Congratulations, Dr. devolution. Were you happy?

I've been reading this debate for awhile...It's very interesting how polarized the opinions can be on either side.

My experience is that many factors should be considered and that money is not an ultimate trump card. I personally see 10-15k a year difference as pretty negligible if there is a large difference in how much you want to go to a school. This "dream school" mentality is really up to the individual, which is why this debate can get frustrating-everyone prioritizes different things.

As generic as it sounds, every single one of my academic physician mentors (5 from 3 different academic medical institutions, all in the "top 20 med schools" by USNWR so keep that in mind for their bias...) has told me that if you get a shot at a top-10 med school, you should take it no matter the cost because of the doors it will open.

In their opinion, extra-ordinary careers are built on extraordinary schools. Not saying that every person from these places will go on to be great, or that people who don't go to these schools can't be great. But the law of averages over time supports this statement.

Before you jump down my throat, I don't necessarily agree with this in every instance and money was a huge factor for me (I couldn't have attended my school without a great package). But I think it comes down to your career goals and I do think that reputation of the school should be considered. Residency placement isn't all Step 1, I know some people think that, but IMO and the opinion of the different departments I've worked in, it isn't. I've seen all the counter-arguments: selection bias on match lists, inbreeding, geographical preferences for state school students wanting to stick close, etc.

Work hard, pick a place where you feel supported and where you can be happy. Different institutions draw different types of people and have different themes. I do think the curriculum is an important factor- the idea that every medical school "uses the same powerpoints" and therefore every place teaches EXACTLY the same way is (IMO) not at all correct. The idea that the faculty makes no difference is not correct.

Pick a place where the students are cohesive and happy. It's four years of your life and medical school is not just a "guided independent study" experience. It is a time where you are going to develop all the knowledge and instincts that will carry you into residency and being a physician. It is a time where you will make career-lasting connections. It is a time when your experiences and clinical exposure will help form personal opinions on what specialty you will go into that will dictate your entire future. It is important.

Good luck with your decision!

I would say that if your ultimate goal is simply private practice somewhere, your school choice probably won't matter that much.

Narmer is right...it matters more in academic hospitals/ research than private. If you are your own boss it doesn't matter...patients rarely know or care. They care about how you are as a physician and person.

As generic as it sounds, every single one of my academic physician mentors (5 from 3 different academic medical institutions, all in the "top 20 med schools" by USNWR so keep that in mind for their bias...) has told me that if you get a shot at a top-10 med school, you should take it no matter the cost because of the doors it will open.

If you get accepted to a "top 10" school, then maybe that is something to consider. However, given that ~20k are accepted each year, with maybe 1000-2000 spots at "top 10," you are talking about 5-10% of students. Thus, as a generalization...cheaper school should always win out.

I would say that if your ultimate goal is simply private practice somewhere, your school choice probably won't matter that much.

yeah I agree with this too, although you'd be surprised how many people flock to the "hahvard" private docs (at least for specialty procedures, primary care=more about building community connections and being a nice/trustworthy person)

And I didn't mean to say that a "top ten USNWR" school is equivalent to what I said about an "exceptional" school-that's just what a lot of people seem to equate and physicians think of as a "highly regarded institution." In reality, I think an "extra-ordinary" school is much more dependent on one's personal interests-primary care, service, research, location, money, etc.

My main point (and I don't think it's especially unique, many on this site have said something similar) is that I believe that you shouldn't choose a school simply because of the money. You shouldn't dismiss the identity of the school as completely similar to every other school and look at it just like a transaction where the payoff is the same, because I think there are many more factors that will play into your happiness and career goals.

It's true that C=MD, and you can be a doc at any med school. But everyone is not necessarily satisfied with just being "another ok MD" in the pack. My advice is to pick a school which will allow you to be exceptional, if that is your goal. If that isn't your goal, then you should still pick a place where you can at least be happy for 4 years!

If you're not going to med school only for the money, then don't go to A med school only for the money. My two cents.

Last edited: