How important is it to apply on the very first day? Advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Refreshing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my last quarter at my college. My prospective grades will improve my overall GPA, but it will cause me to delay my application until my transcript is released near the end of June.

Current stats:

MCAT: 32 (11BS, 10PS, 11VR)

Overall: 3.56
BCPM: 3.49
A/O: 3.75

With this quarter's stats:

Overall: 3.60
BCPM: 3.54
A/O: 3.78

Advice please! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Look for my name in the verification thread from the 2012 cycle.

I submitted fairly early, but my place in the line kept getting passed because I had transcripts that had to show up in mid June.

If your place in the line has already passed, you will not get permanently skipped. You will remain at the head of the line until your transcripts come in, then you will be processed within a couple of days.

Get in early for the best chances.

Look at my MDapps link under my avatar to see how each school I applied to played out. I had three acceptances before December. It was a nice place to be.

You don't state your MCAT. That makes it a little more difficult to figure out how important it is to get your app in early. It is important any way, just less so if you have an awesome MCAT.

dsoz

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good question, as my last day is on May 30th. My other question is will I be verified bd fore I take the MCAT in July, even if I apply first week of June? I'm hoping schools will still give me a look without the MCAT, but I'm not sure if I can be verified before my MCAT score is posted in August.

Look for my name in the verification thread from the 2012 cycle.

I submitted fairly early, but my place in the line kept getting passed because I had transcripts that had to show up in mid June.

If your place in the line has already passed, you will not get permanently skipped. You will remain at the head of the line until your transcripts come in, then you will be processed within a couple of days.

Get in early for the best chances.

Look at my MDapps link under my avatar to see how each school I applied to played out. I had three acceptances before December. It was a nice place to be.

You don't state your MCAT. That makes it a little more difficult to figure out how important it is to get your app in early. It is important any way, just less so if you have an awesome MCAT.

dsoz
Thanks for the advice! I didn't know that I would have a place in line and not get skipped. I was afraid of not being verified until September if I waited for my grades.I have also edited my post and included my MCAT score.

I would wait to submit your transcript until your new grades are on it. The bump in GPA that you have listed seems big enough to be worth it.

Can someone clarify to make sure I am understanding this correctly?

I can submit my application on June 4th if I know what I will be getting in my classes, even though my transcript will not be released until June 28th. My application will be held until my transcript is received, but I will have a spot in line. Does this mean my application would be processed relatively quickly instead of being treated as though I submitted it on June 28th?

Thank you! :thumbup:

Can someone clarify to make sure I am understanding this correctly?

I can submit my application on June 4th if I know what I will be getting in my classes, even though my transcript will not be released until June 28th. My application will be held until my transcript is received, but I will have a spot in line. Does this mean my application would be processed relatively quickly instead of being treated as though I submitted it on June 28th?

Thank you! :thumbup:

I believe this is so.

This is last cycle's thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...ighlight=2013+AMCAS+verification#post13349782

Look through the dates that people submitted, transcripts, and verified. Very helpful while you are in the process! Then you can see what AMCAS is doing. There is a similar thread for AACOMAS for last year.

Edit: looking back through the thread, it looks like I waited for my transcripts to be there before I submitted on June 27. I was verified and attending some of the first interview slots offered at many schools. Late June should be just fine.

AAMC has "traffic rules" that state the first day that interviews can be offered, the first day that interviews can be conducted, first day that acceptances can be offered... There is a first day rule for just about everything. If you are early enough, you run into a lot of these first day rules that drive you nuts with the waiting.

dsoz

Last edited:
Applying post-first day is not a huge liability. That said, applying early is a huge asset.

Submitting anytime in June and even into July is considered early, and you will be fine. No need to submit day 1.

It's probably the single most important thing you can do to better your chances, and it is one of the only things completely in your control. Don't be lazy and procrastinate. You will regret it. Just submit it. You can always submit the updated transcript. End of June isn't late though,

This.

It's not the actual submitting on the first day that matters - it's the increase in verification time if you wait too long to submit.

To echo a bunch of other people, just get it in the first day so that you can get your secondaries early and get them submitted early. The date when your secondaries is complete is when the schools actually start looking at your application.

It's probably the single most important thing you can do to better your chances, and it is one of the only things completely in your control. Don't be lazy and procrastinate. You will regret it. Just submit it. You can always submit the updated transcript. End of June isn't late though,

What if I take the MCAT on July 2nd or the 13th? Should I still have everything in beginning of June, or will it not matter until my score comes in August?

Applying early is important but not as important as submitting a solid application. Late June/early July at the latest is ideal. After that is pushing it a little but still doable.

Good question, as my last day is on May 30th. My other question is will I be verified bd fore I take the MCAT in July, even if I apply first week of June? I'm hoping schools will still give me a look without the MCAT, but I'm not sure if I can be verified before my MCAT score is posted in August.

Verification is just them looking at your grades and making sure that you entered them correctly. If I recall correctly, most schools look at your whole application so there's no advantage to go early since you won't get an invite without an MCAT score.

Applying early is important but not as important as submitting a solid application. Late June/early July at the latest is ideal. After that is pushing it a little but still doable.

Verification is just them looking at your grades and making sure that you entered them correctly. If I recall correctly, most schools look at your whole application so there's no advantage to go early since you won't get an invite without an MCAT score.

I thought there was a chance I could get secondary letters from schools? Should probably go with July 2 mcat then.

I have a similar concern.

I am willing to submit June 1st, but my problem is...I am taking the last of my Org. Chem series class. A received a C in O.Chem 1 and an A in O.Chem 2. Because of that first C, I was thinking of getting an A in this last Orgo class and submit my apps after I get this transcript so that they could see that I can handle O.Chem (2 As and 1 C).

Is this a good reason to apply late June rather than hurrying?

Thanks.