How important is it to do something health-related during your gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been at 2 jobs (total of 40 hrs a week) for about a month and a half now, which started almost immediately after my college graduation.

They are good paying jobs which allow me to pay off my student loans and save up for med school, but they have nothing to do with health care or with my major even (bio).

Is there anything wrong with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told this looks bad but it never made any sense to me.

I think saving money (by any means necessary) before 4 years of zero income is the most prudent possible course you could take, and shows a high level of maturity.

It doesn't matter what you do your gap year as long as it's not landing you behind bars or on the terrorist watch list. Many medical school ADCOM personnel I have spoke with have told me that they highly recommend students take a gap year before applying to medical school. When asked about why they thought this way, they responded almost unanimously that they believe a nice break from the medical field and/or school helps the student(s) refresh and start medical school with a clear and relaxed state of mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you're fine. One of my gap years I worked in a field research position and as a housecleaner for a while...I just explained that I worked 80 hours a week so that then I could pay down my student loans and pay for my wedding. I'd say that it shows a good work ethic, and while having something in healthcare might be preferable, working to earn money isn't going to tank your app just because it's not clinical.

I've been at 2 jobs (total of 40 hrs a week) for about a month and a half now, which started almost immediately after my college graduation.

They are good paying jobs which allow me to pay off my student loans and save up for med school, but they have nothing to do with health care or with my major even (bio).

Is there anything wrong with this?
Doesn't matter unless you have a weakness in your app and you don't get accepted. If you have a weakness do things to fix it or you might be delayed 2yrs vs 1.

It looks bad to be unproductive. Being gainfully employed is never a bad thing. If you can do something medically related, even a bit of volunteering, that's great, but adcoms will understand the need to pay the bills.