How important is it to get along with your classmates during Pharmacy School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrapeSoda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to a few schools but I am wondering how important it is to get along with your classmates? Should this be a part of the consideration when choosing your school? Thanks to Facebook I have been able to meet some of my classmates from each school...and I like one program better than the other but I think that I will get along with the classmates better from the other school!! What should I do?? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Go with your gut instinct. If you think you won't get along with students at one school for whatever reason, don't go there. You'll be surrounded by the same people for 3 years, so it's important to chose wisely.

are you moving for either program? If you already have friends/family in that location I'd pick the better program.

I didn't know anyone when I moved here and I hang out with some classmates but I spend most of my time with my boyfriend.

program prestige really doesn't matter but it depends on what you want out of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
i rank this as one of the most important things in choosing a school. like they mentioned above, you will be with these people for the next 3-4 years so it would suck if you didn't get along with them.

I think the importance of "getting along with your classmates" would depend somewhat on the size of the class. For instance, UNMC (in Omaha, where I am going) has class sizes of only 65. From what one of the student ambassadors told me at the interview day it is pretty important to get along with all of your classmates whether you like them or not. He said that in a way it was just like going back to high school (for those of us who grew up in rural areas at least.) This aspect (of seeing the same people in class almost every day for three years) might be a bit different if you had a class twice that size....just depends on the school.

Another thing to consider....are you thinking about a state school or a private school? Of course these are generalizations, but a private school is more likely to have a geographically diverse student body than a state school, which is a big positive for some people. For me, I tend to gravitate towards other fellow midwesterners (in my admittedly limited life experiences thus far, I find them to be easier to get along with than say someone from NY or Cali...no offense meant at all to anyone, I promise:)), so this was a very attractive aspect of two of the schools I was accepted to, the University of Minnesota and UNMC. I interviewed and was accepted to MWU-CPG as well, but that school had a much different feel to it and I didn't see myself fitting in as well there.

Of course only you can decide for you...as was already said, go with your gut. Personally, I feel that earning your PharmD will give you fantastic opportunities no matter where you get it from...you might as well go to the place that feels like the most comfortable fit.

I disagree with others, and don't think this should be an important consideration. For a start, you never really know what people are like until you spend a lot of time with them face-to-face (as opposed to on facebook). Learning to get along with people, regardless of whether you like them or not is an important skill to learn. During your career, you are going to work with a lot of people you don't like, so get used to it!

During my last year of college there were 36 of us (which was pretty big compared to the Genetics class, for example, which only had 6). I didn't like everybody, but it wasn't a problem - I found a few people I did like and hung out with them. The ones I didn't like - I kept on good terms with them since I had to work with them in group projects.

Graduate school isn't High School - most people are going to be smart, motivated and mature, so I don't think you'll have problems finding people you get along with.

here is some clarification:

are you moving for either program? If you already have friends/family in that location I'd pick the better program.

I would be moving for both programs.

I do not have any family or relatives near either school

I think the importance of "getting along with your classmates" would depend somewhat on the size of the class.

Another thing to consider....are you thinking about a state school or a private school?

Both schools enter a class size of 75

Both schools are private

How different can the curriculum really be between schools? maybe I should go where I fit in better (with the students) because for the most part the courses are going to be the same at both schools? or no?

...Learning to get along with people, regardless of whether you like them or not is an important skill to learn. During your career, you are going to work with a lot of people you don't like, so get used to it!...

...I didn't like everybody, but it wasn't a problem - I found a few people I did like and hung out with them. The ones I didn't like - I kept on good terms with them since I had to work with them in group projects.

Graduate school isn't High School - most people are going to be smart, motivated and mature, so I don't think you'll have problems finding people you get along with.

I agree with the gist of what you are saying Jimbly, and chances are no matter where anyone decides to attend school there are going to be people you like and dislike. Learning how to coexist with people you don't necessarily like is important, agreed. But to me there is something to be said for picking a school based on its "culture" and how you fit into the student body there. Not that it should necessarily be the most important category a person looks at when they are deciding between pharm schools, but it looks as if the OP is in a position where this is a very valid concern (a sort of tie-breaker if you will) and does merit consideration.

Why on earth would a person want to go to a school if they feel like they don't fit in there? Unless it was the only school someone was able to get into, I would wonder why somebody would do that to him or herself. Of course that person would still make friends and get along with people, but why subject yourself to that sort of second-guessing (why didn't I choose School X instead?)

Unless you have any concerns about either of the school's abilities to teach you what you need to know GrapeSoda, I would go with the school that "feels" right....unless the one that feels right is $10k more expensive....then I'd have to KNOW it is the right school:)

Mature? Hahahaha. Smart and motivated, sure; but mature? Not at my school. I'm going to High School - Part 2.

it's going to be a tough decision.

school 1: felt really organized and I loved the faculty (very caring, you felt like part of the family)- it just felt right, however, now that I met some students I don't know that I will fit in with the students there

school 2: didn't feel so right at the interview , not very organized- the faculty was not very caring or concerned, but now that I have met some of the students I think that I would fit in better with those students

decisions, decisions

I say go to the school that you will fit in at!

school 1: felt really organized and I loved the faculty (very caring, you felt like part of the family)- it just felt right, however, now that I met some students I don't know that I will fit in with the students there

school 2: didn't feel so right at the interview , not very organized- the faculty was not very caring or concerned, but now that I have met some of the students I think that I would fit in better with those students

decisions, decisions
If it were me, I would go with school 1. The faculty are the people who will be teaching you for the next four years. An organized program with caring faculty would rate very highly with me. If you don't like the students, remember that they are not the only source of the friends you will make in pharmacy school.
I once went to a school where we were over 300 in lecture halls. I didn't know the faculty, and I was just a number. At my current school, however, I know the faculty, and I know that they care. The students are great, but knowing that the faculty care about my progress has made my undergrad experience special.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surely you will find SOMEONE in your pharmacy class that you fit in with, regardless of which school you choose. Several people probably don't know anyone when they start pharmacy school, so everyone is looking for friends at the beginning.

attend the pharmacy school where you feel you can gain a great education. don't worry about friends...even IF you don't make any friends (which is highly unlikely) you will still make friends outside of your pharmacy class (ex: graduate school people, med students, etc, etc)

Getting along with your classmates is a must in pharmacy school, it makes or breaks a class. the problem is that most people are not open minded enough to mix up with people that are not of the same race as them.
Don't go to a school because you are worried about whether you will fit in or not. what if you didn't have the option of choosing between these two schools? Will you turn down your acceptance because you assume you won't get along with your classmates?. Go to the school you prefer academically and learn how to get along with every body in your class. You won't have the option of choosing who you will work with after graduation

Graduate school is VERY much like high school. Most people are smart and motivated, but there are some that lack any sort of maturity. You might not have any trouble finding friends, but (especially if you are in a small class) there will be drama.

Graduate school is VERY much like high school. Most people are smart and motivated, but there are some that lack any sort of maturity. You might not have any trouble finding friends, but (especially if you are in a small class) there will be drama.
Right.

I would say go to the school that you fit into. The less drama, the easier it will be to go to class every day. The faculty will have little to no influence over whether or not you will have a good day vs a bad day. You're just following their lead, and that's all. If you have a bad day, because the people around you are bringing you down, then your grades will probably suffer. Disorganization is only a problem at first, but after you get used to how things operate, it becomes normal.

(I still don't know where I fit in at school or anywhere for that matter. I don't know very many people like myself. It's frustrating sometimes.
I don't latch onto institutions or people for that matter; I would rather explore the world. Unfortunately, people who like to explore are usually unstable or flaky, so I can't really make friends with a lot of people. I'm just an unusual type A...)

Right.

The faculty will have little to no influence over whether or not you will have a good day vs a bad day. You're just following their lead, and that's all. Disorganization is only a problem at first, but after you get used to how things operate, it becomes normal.

ok...so between schools how different can the curriculum be?? Or is every pharmacy school basically the same as far as the classes you take?

ok...so between schools how different can the curriculum be?? Or is every pharmacy school basically the same as far as the classes you take?
We all take similar classes. The ACPE sets certain standards for all pharmacy schools. Unless you have a particular interest in a pharmacy topic that is considered unique (perhaps some sort of research), it doesn't matter which curriculum you chose, IMO.

The great Epic (who has vanished into the deserts of Texas perhaps indefinitely) would say that academics is just a game like any other game, and as students, we have to play the game (or at least that's what he would say when I would struggle).

If you follow the rules, then you can graduate and move on. The end result of pharmacy school is graduation. If you can't graduate, then you can't become a pharmacist. Simple as that. Whatever you feel to be the path of least resistance, take it. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't be challenged, but the goal of pharmacy school is not to haze you into becoming a pharmacist.

Perhaps you've heard this saying, "They aren't handing out PharmDs." Basically, what this means is that you are not guaranteed a PharmD solely based on the fact that you've been accepted into a pharmacy school's PharmD program. You have to be dedicated to three or four years of training plus you have to pass the NAPLEX and a law exam before you can become a pharmacist. A few students will flunk out or drop out of pharmacy school, because they're too tired, distracted, or burnt out to finish, and you don't want to be one of those unfortunate students.

(This kind of indecision gives me a headache. I'll try my best to help though!)

so you are saying that its just good marketing? the fact that one school looks academically more organized and focused than the other school should not mean anything because they will both be teaching the same thing/ same classes/ same end goal in mind/ etc?

so you are saying that its just good marketing? the fact that one school looks academically more organized and focused than the other school should not mean anything because they will both be teaching the same thing/ same classes/ same end goal in mind/ etc?
How do you know that they're more or less organized? What did you notice?

There are alot of issues to consider such as race, number of students,etc but it is not a must to get along with them. You will eventually get to know some of them but not all if u are going to a large 120 student class but that's ok though. The main objective is to pass and do well, friends should come naturally and if u don't like them then just ignore them. After 3 years u will be out of class and hopefully an area u like to do rotations but just remember that if u can't get along with a good number of ppl in class then why would u get along with ppl in your life like workers,etc.

How do you know that they're more or less organized? What did you notice?

when I interviewed at the schools I was just really really impressed by one. They were very organized and could answer specific questions about curriculum. Also they addressed how they were going to change to meet with what the future of pharmacy has to offer. (more of a focus of Medication therapy management as well as certification to give immunizations)

exactly. anyone who thinks you've gotten away from this doesn't know what they're talking about.

First year I referred to my class as "High School Magnified x10". My graduating HS class was 850. My pharmacy school class started at 85. Plus there was more sex, drugs, and rock n'roll. There was a lot of drama first year. It still exists but as you make friends through the years you can avoid a lot of it.

when I interviewed at the schools I was just really really impressed by one. They were very organized and could answer specific questions about curriculum. Also they addressed how they were going to change to meet with what the future of pharmacy has to offer. (more of a focus of Medication therapy management as well as certification to give immunizations)
Someone's doing something right in that Admissions Department. If you're will to pick a pharmacy school just based on what the admissions office tells you, then it sounds like you would judge a book by its cover. After you start pharmacy school, you'll have very little contact with that office. They just get people in, take your ticket if you will, but the most important part, the movie, is in the classroom or at the rotational sites.

Have you talked to any students or professors from each school?

It looks like you need to find out more about both of the schools before you make a decision.

I've already been to grad school once (in the UK), so I guess I must have been lucky with my previous experience :D

Someone's doing something right in that Admissions Department. If you're will to pick a pharmacy school just based on what the admissions office tells you, then it sounds like you would judge a book by its cover. After you start pharmacy school, you'll have very little contact with that office. They just get people in, take your ticket if you will, but the most important part, the movie, is in the classroom or at the rotational sites.

Have you talked to any students or professors from each school?

It looks like you need to find out more about both of the schools before you make a decision.

yes, the school as a whole was very welcoming and organized...professors and admissions staff alike

yes, the school as a whole was very welcoming and organized...professors and admissions staff alike
So are you wavering only because of the Facebook group or is anything else bothering you? It seems like you're second-guessing yourself, which might be a bad idea. Can I ask?... Why don't you fit in with the other school's students?

decisions, decisions

Class dynamics changes for every class. It's a totally different set of people that interact in their own unique ways. The faculty can have some influence over how the class acts, but not a huge amount. I would go with the school that you felt the most comfortable at. Like other people have said, you don't know how a person will be until you spend every day of the week together for more than five hours a day. Some people you hang out with from the beginning you may find that later in the program you have grown distant. The major point that has already been brought up is, you will have to work with people you don't like and that is a very important and valuable skill in any profession. Don't worry about finding friends, unless you are a very introverted person. You will find someone to make friends with and more than likely, a group of people.

I've already been to grad school once (in the UK), so I guess I must have been lucky with my previous experience :D

talking to my friends who have done masters' and phd programs it seems their classes aren't as stuck together as we are in pharmacy. we take all of the same classes together in the same rooms for 3+ years. I would liken it more to the med school or law school experience than what I've seen from my friends graduate programs. But I'm the first to admit that this is an outsiders perspective on that world.

Class dynamics changes for every class. It's a totally different set of people that interact in their own unique ways. The faculty can have some influence over how the class acts, but not a huge amount. I would go with the school that you felt the most comfortable at. Like other people have said, you don't know how a person will be until you spend every day of the week together for more than five hours a day. Some people you hang out with from the beginning you may find that later in the program you have grown distant. The major point that has already been brought up is, you will have to work with people you don't like and that is a very important and valuable skill in any profession. Don't worry about finding friends, unless you are a very introverted person. You will find someone to make friends with and more than likely, a group of people.

This is precisely what worries me. I turned 22 about two weeks ago, and my entire life, I have been very shy and introverted in general. As a boy, I used to play by myself and family members as well as strangers would comment that I was very very shy and preferred to remain on my own. At 22, I am really no different and I've had very few friends in life. Therefore, I'm afraid I'll be isolated completely in pharmacy school. I fear that other than working together for a common purpose, such as a presentation or whatnot, I will not really interact with anyone beyond the classroom. This is what my undergraduate experience was like. I didn't finish my bachelor's, but in the 3 years I was in college, I always felt that I would only interact with people when it came to academics. People would come to me for academics and studying, but beyond that, they were simply acquaintances. I'd like to have a fruitful social experience in pharmacy school since these will be my last 4 years of education for the rest of my life, but I doubt things will change at this point. On top of worrying about having to move 1,200 miles to another state for school, I have this preoccupation with being isolated...therefore, i'm not too happy about things. I hope things work out.

This is precisely what worries me. I turned 22 about two weeks ago, and my entire life, I have been very shy and introverted in general. As a boy, I used to play by myself and family members as well as strangers would comment that I was very very shy and preferred to remain on my own. At 22, I am really no different and I've had very few friends in life. Therefore, I'm afraid I'll be isolated completely in pharmacy school. I fear that other than working together for a common purpose, such as a presentation or whatnot, I will not really interact with anyone beyond the classroom. This is what my undergraduate experience was like. I didn't finish my bachelor's, but in the 3 years I was in college, I always felt that I would only interact with people when it came to academics. People would come to me for academics and studying, but beyond that, they were simply acquaintances. I'd like to have a fruitful social experience in pharmacy school since these will be my last 4 years of education for the rest of my life, but I doubt things will change at this point. On top of worrying about having to move 1,200 miles to another state for school, I have this preoccupation with being isolated...therefore, i'm not too happy about things. I hope things work out.

The only way to make friends is to put yourself out there. Really force yourself to get to know your classmates beyond pharmacy school. Join organizations and invite them over or just go hang out sometime. You won't meet people if you don't make some effort. The first time might be a little hard, but you just have to force yourself to try to experience new things. If you really fear being as isolated as you say, then this shouldn't be too difficult.

I guess I'm the same way, unhealthily introverted. I personally never saw the need to interact with my classmates outside of class. I've had the same friends since my middle school years and I really haven't made any new ones in the last few years. I guess we just need to take the initiative and ask the people who would speak to casually in class for their numbers, emails, messenger names or whatever.

I definitely suggest joining a group or two. If your school has fraternities, join one. Get involved with whatever groups you join and you should be fine. You will have to step outside your comfort zone a bit, but you will form a new comfort zone.

I don't know. Call me crazy or whatnot, but I personally believe there is no such thing as a real friend other than the very parents who love you, take care of you, and have raised you. Many we call friends are simply people who we spend a good time with to hang out, go to a movie, or to a party. But at the very moment of trial and tribulation, when all hell is breaking loose, and the weight of the world is upon your shoulders, people, including the ones you thought were your friends, leave right and left. The only real friends are your parents, in that they will always be there to help you. Not only that, but chances are, they would be more than willing to give up their life for you if they had to. This is how I feel about most so called "friends" and I have thought this way most of my life. I believe most people are hypocrites and will probably use you for their advantage if they could, but very very few people are truly genuine, sincere, and caring. I've made it this far in my life, to actually get into pharmacy school, not through the support of any so called individual friend. I've made this far through the use of my mind and support of my parents...absolutely no friends or anyone supported me. This is why it is so painful for me to leave the comfort of my my parents' home and go away to school for 4 years. Like I wrote in a thread sometime ago, it is by far the HARDEST THING I'VE HAD TO DO in my life.

what about tuition...how much of your consideration when picking schools should go to the price of tuition??

I don't know. Call me crazy or whatnot, but I personally believe there is no such thing as a real friend other than the very parents who love you, take care of you, and have raised you. Many we call friends are simply people who we spend a good time with to hang out, go to a movie, or to a party. But at the very moment of trial and tribulation, when all hell is breaking loose, and the weight of the world is upon your shoulders, people, including the ones you thought were your friends, leave right and left. The only real friends are your parents, in that they will always be there to help you. Not only that, but chances are, they would be more than willing to give up their life for you if they had to. This is how I feel about most so called "friends" and I have thought this way most of my life. I believe most people are hypocrites and will probably use you for their advantage if they could, but very very few people are truly genuine, sincere, and caring. I've made it this far in my life, to actually get into pharmacy school, not through the support of any so called individual friend. I've made this far through the use of my mind and support of my parents...absolutely no friends or anyone supported me. This is why it is so painful for me to leave the comfort of my my parents' home and go away to school for 4 years. Like I wrote in a thread sometime ago, it is by far the HARDEST THING I'VE HAD TO DO in my life.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I think that you're missing out on some really nice people out there.

It's pretty important, being that the group you matriculate with is going to be your 2nd family for the next 4 years, or possibly for the rest of your life. You could start a business with a few of them.

High School doesn't mean anything. I never fit in at high school because I couldn't buy into the whole "clic" thing. I guess I was classified as the nerdy video-game geek jock. Nerdy because I was in the top 10% of the class, video-game geek because I played countless hours of video games(I played like 8 hours a day, almost went pro but one of the guys on my team was using wall-hacks and aimbots. The rules were pretty stringent so even if you didn't know your teammate was cheating, the entire team was banned from the league.), and jock because I was on the tennis team.

I am sorry you have not found anyone that you can truly call a friend, which is the antithesis to what you describe. Believe it or not, you will find at least one other person you can call a friend that will stick by you once you get in pharmacy school.

what about tuition...how much of your consideration when picking schools should go to the price of tuition??

Tuition shouldn't be a huge concern unless you get into more than one school. It's the prize at the end that matters, regardless of if you pay 15K a year or 35K a year. You just may have to pay an extra year on your loans depending on the school. If you can deal with it, you can get a 100K sign-on bonus on top of 200-250K a year to go to Alaska. Even if you have to take out 50K a year in loans you will have them paid off in no time and be able to make a nice nest egg on top of investing by the time you spend two years there.