How important is it to having held a leadership position?

PerseveranceJoe

Dec 11, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    I have just recently been elected as the Vice President of Volunteering for my fraternity, and I am stoked!! After this year, I actually really want to be the President for the chapter as well. My question is would the VP of Volunteering be respected enough to be put on the application, or do I have to be President? Also, how important is it to have leadership qualities?

P.S. For other leadership positions, I have started and chaired a volunteering event with the local animal shelter. Along with that, I have chaired an ice cream fundraiser and a walk to raise awareness for AIDS. I am also becoming a group leader for a club designed to give body composition test to locals and students.

Noggin

May 4, 2013
    California
    1. Pre-Medical
      Having a leadership position is certainly beneficial but not essential. Try and get leadership experience that helps you stand out. Being the vice president of volunteering of some organization often doesn't mean a lot because adcoms know that many organizations dish out leadership positions to many people so that they can boost their resume. President would obviously be better. Even better than that would be starting your own organization!

About the Ads

TwinsFan

10+ Year Member
      Aug 9, 2010
      1. Medical Student
        I think it is more like this:
        1 GPA (weighted about the same as 2 but much harder to change if you have several bad semesters)
        2 MCAT
        3 Shadowing
        4 Clinical Experience
        5 Volunteering
        6 Research
        6 Leadership
        8 Random ECs, well roundedness etc.

TheThirdLevel

10+ Year Member
        Feb 12, 2010
          I think it is more like this:
          1 GPA (weighted about the same as 2 but much harder to change if you have several bad semesters)
          2 MCAT
          3 Shadowing
          4 Clinical Experience
          5 Volunteering
          6 Research
          6 Leadership
          8 Random ECs, well roundedness etc.

Shadowing is not #3. Some schools straight up say that they think shadowing is somewhat useless. Some schools will place some more emphasis on it.

1 - GPA/MCAT
          2 - Clincal Experience
          3 - Volunteering/Research (depends on what type of school)
          4 - LoRs/PS
          5 - Everything else

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
          Jan 21, 2012
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Shadowing is not #3. Some schools straight up say that they think shadowing is somewhat useless. Some schools will place some more emphasis on it.

1 - GPA/MCAT
            2 - Clincal Experience
            3 - Volunteering/Research (depends on what type of school)
            4 - LoRs/PS
            5 - Everything else

Shadowing is essentially required for admission to my local school, and I'd imagine they're not alone.

AlteredScale

Staff member
            Administrator
            Volunteer Staff
            7+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            May 10, 2013
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              I am guessing a better question is this:

Is having the title "president" weighed more on the application than having the title "vice president?"

Wouldn't say so but it depends on what the role was within and what you got out of it.
              If you saw your self grow in any way, shape, or form in leadership coordination then it would not matter. Just be sure to address as such to AdComs but still have a backup to explain why you decided to take on VP instead of P.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.