How important is leadership experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the most important thing to have. GPA, MCAT, clinical experiences, and research probably all trump it, so if you're short on one of those, prioritize it over leadership.

Reactions: 1 user
Due to a number of factors, it is looking like I will be applying without any leadership experience.

How important is leadership experience? Is it like research where it isn't technically a requirement but is in a way because so many matriculants have it? Is it one of those things that is just nice to have if you can?

Thank you!

The real question is why do medical schools care about it?

It's not the most important thing to have. GPA, MCAT, clinical experiences, and research probably all trump it, so if you're short on one of those, prioritize it over leadership.

How does one 'prioritize' something over leadership, it isn't a check box.

I was asked about my leadership experience in many of my interviews. So.. although it is not a requirement, I think it is important.

How important is leadership experience? Is it like research where it isn't technically a requirement but is in a way because so many matriculants have it? Is it one of those things that is just nice to have if you can?

Thank you!
For general purposes, a Leadership activity is not required. If a school you're applying to has mention of it in their mission statement, its absence is more likely to hurt you.

As @mimelim points out, you need to ask yourself why a school might care. What type of physician do they aim to train? Do you want to be that type of doctor?

Reactions: 1 user
There's only so much leadership you can get as a traditional applicant.

What exactly does that mean?

I have previously suggested being a TA or a club officer as examples of leadership. That however was criticized by some as not true leadership. So what I'm saying is that there's limited opportunities for leadership for someone who is a full-time undergraduate student.

I have previously suggested being a TA or a club officer as examples of leadership. That however was criticized by some as not true leadership. So what I'm saying is that there's limited opportunities for leadership for someone who is a full-time undergraduate student.

I would strongly disagree with that assertion. "Full-time undergraduate student" typically translates into ~40 hours a week of class and studying. If you take out sleep, that leaves 80 hours a week for non-essential components of being an undergrad. There is plenty of time to dedicate to things in undergrad and to lead.

I think that the issue that you are having is that you see leadership roles as requiring an "opportunity", ie something that can be 'limited'. Leadership is about not needing someone to set things up for you or give you an opportunity. It is about taking ownership of something and doing something that others wouldn't have normally. ie. LEADING.

Looking through applications of traditional students, there are countless examples of this from every type of undergrad.

Reactions: 4 users
Whut. How are those experiences not "true leadership"? They're not all created the same, for sure--the social chair of a pre-med club would probably involve much less leadership than being VP of a political club--but that doesn't discount all those experiences.