How important is living within walking distance to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRickJames

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is being within walking distance to school a significant advantage over say a 20 minute metro ride? Not sure if the 40 minutes of commuting a day and not living in the area with the largest population of classmates would be an issue or if that distance is too insignificant to matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like NYUCD. Insignificant IMO if you can save a lot of money.

Provided me a lot of comfort being across the street. Save on time, stress and sleep and also gas.

If we're talking an +50k difference, I'd put up with a 20 minute commute. If its an just an extra 1-5k a year in expenses, i'd play around with the idea, especially for the first two years.

One of the reasons why I picked UB was the fact that there was an apt right across the street from the school:laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To me it was extremely important. Saved me so much stress and exhaustion being able to get to school in under 10 minutes walking.

Reactions: 1 user
My commute is 25 minutes, its hardly a hindrance. I'd rather live in a house than an apt right close to school. Just need to figure out what is important to you.

To me it was extremely important. Saved me so much stress and exhaustion being able to get to school in under 10 minutes walking.

Agreed. I've been told it's a HUGE convenience especially when you have projects those early mornings/late nights.

Last edited:
I'm debating this too. In Boston this could mean saving from $300-600 a month. Transportation system is really nice up there from what I hear, but the hassle of it seems like it might just be extra stress. I rather be 3 blocks from the school and walk there, but the price...

i commuted an hour to live at home. was well worth it!

I am a 10 minute bus ride from my school and 5-10ish minute walk. I have no issues with it besides on Sunday when the bus only runs every 30 minutes versus the rest of the week every 5-15 minutes depending on time of day. It's less than a 10 minute bike ride (on a crappy old mountain bike) and I do that during the warmer months a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're good at time management, it isn't a problem at all. You won't need to live right across from the school or feel super stressed if you allocate your time wisely. Live where you feel most comfortable. But do not be worried if that's a 20-30 minute drive...that is insignificant in the grand-scheme of things.

My commute is 30 min but i live at home with my fam. So zero expenses for rent

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Had about an hour commute each way through school. It sucked but it's doable if you manage time right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask yourself what's important to you. Do you like to get every last minute of sleep? I used to have a 90 minute commute one way to university. Now in dental school my commute is exactly like you said, 20 minute metro ride. Some days I wish I lived closer and some days I think about the money I'm saving and it's great. Living close would be more of a social thing if anything.

Thoughts on a 1 hour commute each way to save $100,000?

Thoughts on a 1 hour commute each way to save $100,000?

Is this a commute that you'll spend driving yourself or on a bus?

100k is a pretty significant number, but 2 hours a day is also a significant amount of time. If you're looking to be towards the top of your class, then it may be difficult.

Last edited:
Is this a commute that you'll spend driving yourself or on a bus?

100k is a pretty significant number, but 2 hours a day is also a significant number of time. If you're looking to be towards the top of your class, then it may be difficult.

Driving; I do 30 minutes currently and that feels like nothing.. I'm a very motivated person and would like to be near the top of the class to keep all of my options open but GP is my main goal.

$25,000/year divided by about 50 weeks.... save 500$ a week divided by 10 hours of driving.... so I am basically making $50/ hour to drive :)

Last edited:
@Frank Kennedy How about staying close to school for D1 at least so that you can focus on keeping your grades up and make the adjustment without any stress, and then once your schedule is under control, you can commute from D2 onwards and save the $75,000?

This way you get the best of both worlds.

@Frank Kennedy How about staying close to school for D1 at least so that you can focus on keeping your grades up and make the adjustment without any stress, and then once your schedule is under control, you can commute from D2 onwards and save the $75,000?

This way you get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the advice. That is a good option or I could try commuting for the summer semester and if it is too much for me, I could move closer for the rest of the year.

Thanks for the advice. That is a good option or I could try commuting for the summer semester and if it is too much for me, I could move closer for the rest of the year.

Keep in mind that class rank is mostly formed in the first two years. Moving in the middle of the school year may be difficult and take even more time out of your classes.

Keep in mind that class rank is mostly formed in the first two years. Moving in the middle of the school year may be difficult and take even more time out of your classes.

Thanks for the advice you guys..I have a lot to think about

I have a 20 minute commute by bike/rollerblades (15 minutes by bus if there's really bad weather). The way I look at it is that the commute itself is part of my daily exercise, so it should help with stress.

I have a 20 minute commute by bike/rollerblades (15 minutes by bus if there's really bad weather). The way I look at it is that the commute itself is part of my daily exercise, so it should help with stress.

Dang....rollerblading. I didn't think of that option. I like it.

Dang....rollerblading. I didn't think of that option. I like it.
It's so fun. You can also get around campus easier in certain places compared to a bike, but bikes are faster over long distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
20 minutes is actually a very short commute. My commute is about an hour back and forth in undergrad and it goes by fast for me.

20 minutes is actually a very short commute. My commute is about an hour back and forth in undergrad and it goes by fast for me.

Do you use public transportation or drive?