How important is microbiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ahah sorry to bother you guys again with another one of my question..... :D

But how important is microbiology? does it help you out on the mcat? How does med school adcoms view this class? i'm planning to take gen bio, genetics, molecular bio, and cell bio. Should i even bother attempting microbio?

Members don't see this ad.

not important at all for the MCAT and it jsut looks like a regular old science class to the adcoms, so take it if you are interested, but you are gonna learn it all again, in much greater depth, in med school, so what's the point really? (sorry for the run-on)
That's the kind of thinking that impelled me to major in sociology, and I did fine.

There is not much microbio on the MCAT and most of the related material should have been covered in an intro bio class. A class like molecular bio, genetics, or biochem would have been much more helpful for the MCAT.

I don't think not having microbio will negatively impact an adcom's decision, though I think it is part of the first-year curriculum at most medical schools, so it can't hurt to take it now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Benjo said:
not important at all for the MCAT and it jsut looks like a regular old science class to the adcoms, so take it if you are interested, but you are gonna learn it all again, in much greater depth, in med school, so what's the point really? (sorry for the run-on)
That's the kind of thinking that impelled me to major in sociology, and I did fine.

well i'm debating whether to take microbio or cellular physiology....

i really want to take some undergrad classes that are taught again in med school because i want to have good understand of the class. Hey... :) having to review never hurt.

BTw i'm planning to major in neuroscience and minor in psychology and cell and molecular bio.

Medikit said:
Don't add microbiology onto that schedule.

okay i'll just take cellular physiology my senior year then. I'll forget about molecular bio.

Microbio is almost useless for the MCAT. However, it is a pretty good class, and if you have a desire to take it you should.

Don't know if I'd take it for the hell of it with a full load of, but I'd take it. If nothing else, it's an intro for a class you'll be taking in med school.

what about cellular physiology? does anyone knwo if that is an intro class at med school?

hnbui said:
okay i'll just take cellular physiology my senior year then. I'll forget about molecular bio.

I'm confused, molecular biology isn't the same thing as microbiology, you know that right?

hnbui said:

WTF, are you making your schedule before you are a freshman? Things change. You will be disappointed.

g3pro said:
WTF, are you making your schedule before you are a freshman? Things change. You will be disappointed.

Damn straight. Look ahead to the future, but dont try and plan out your class schedule for the next four years. There is no point - no matter how convinced you are that you will stick to your plan, it WILL change.

On another note, you really ought to be studying for the April 2007 MCAT :laugh:

Medikit said:
I'm confused, molecular biology isn't the same thing as microbiology, you know that right?

oops i mean microbio. sorry

g3pro said:

Call me overzealous. :laugh:

I know my schedule isn't definite. I just basically want to know which classes i should take inorder to prepare for the mcat.

I agree there's not much micro on the MCAT, but it's a really interesting subject and it does integrate information from a lot of other areas - genetics, biochem, evolution, etc.

hnbui said:
ahah sorry to bother you guys again with another one of my question..... :D

But how important is microbiology? does it help you out on the mcat? How does med school adcoms view this class? i'm planning to take gen bio, genetics, molecular bio, and cell bio. Should i even bother attempting microbio?

not important for mcat. but would be great to take before medical school. dont listen to the people that tell you to take poetry and crap before med school to stay "well-rounded." if you have extra credits to use up, take microbiology, physiology, histology, pharmacology, etc. medical school throws a lot of info at you at once, if you can be familiar with some of it before hand you will have a much easier time in medical school. my friends in school that have done this do very well at medical school - VERY WELL!!. nobody cares if you have taken creative writing, or smell the roses 101 -- but they will care if you ace all your medical school courses and rock the boards. and taking the courses mentioned above (histology, anatomy, etc) will help you kick ass in medical school. later. good luck.

\

medicalstudent9 said:
not important for mcat. but would be great to take before medical school. dont listen to the people that tell you to take poetry and crap before med school to stay "well-rounded." if you have extra credits to use up, take microbiology, physiology, histology, pharmacology, etc. medical school throws a lot of info at you at once, if you can be familiar with some of it before hand you will have a much easier time in medical school. my friends in school that have done this do very well at medical school - VERY WELL!!. nobody cares if you have taken creative writing, or smell the roses 101 -- but they will care if you ace all your medical school courses and rock the boards. and taking the courses mentioned above (histology, anatomy, etc) will help you kick ass in medical school. later. good luck.

\

yeah i'm planning to take histology and the more advanced courses my senior year.

I want to get my mcat, neuroscience major, and distribution reqs out fo the way first.

hnbui said:
yeah i'm planning to take histology and the more advanced courses my senior year.

I want to get my mcat, neuroscience major, and distribution reqs out fo the way first.

what are distribution reqs? (if you dont mind me asking)

medicalstudent9 said:
what are distribution reqs? (if you dont mind me asking)

i go to tulane and we are required to have

some courses in social science, in humanities, and in math and science. Inaddition to those we also need a writing intensive class, a class emphasising western culture, and a class emphasising non western culture.

the profeiceny reqs, such as 3 semesters of a language or above a 203 level. A semester of freshmen english.

btw do you have aim?

hnbui said:
i go to tulane and we are required to have

some courses in social science, in humanities, and in math and science. Inaddition to those we also need a writing intensive class, a class emphasising western culture, and a class emphasising non western culture.

the profeiceny reqs, such as 3 semesters of a language or above a 203 level. A semester of freshmen english.

btw do you have aim?

sorry no aim