how important is officer or leadership position in dental school for residency ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael_Scott

Best Boss
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, how important is doing leadership position in getting a residency ?
or are research, volunteer etc sufficient in terms of extra-curriculars ?

Members don't see this ad.

Which residency are you talking about? In general I think it's important because you get to network (ADEA, asda). Also showing leadership is never a bad thing. I think it is only a positive on your resume. That being said.... I don't really know of anyone in my class that got into any speciality program without showing any sort of ec.

Which residency are you talking about? In general I think it's important because you get to network (ADEA, asda). Also showing leadership is never a bad thing. I think it is only a positive on your resume. That being said.... I don't really know of anyone in my class that got into any speciality program without showing any sort of ec.
just in general. Yea, I am doing EC's but just not leadership positions. Wanted to know how important leadership position is..

Members don't see this ad :)
These questions are really hard to answer. Maybe @setdoc7 has some insight. I think showing involvement is good, leadership positions is even better, but ultimately grades and specialty specific interest/activity trump all.

Reactions: 1 users
These questions are really hard to answer. Maybe @setdoc7 has some insight. I think showing involvement is good, leadership positions is even better, but ultimately grades and specialty specific interest/activity trump all.
Thanks that's what I was looking for.

Leadership positions vary. If you are the school rep to ADEA, I think it is a great thing to put on your app, school rep for ASDA or NSDA also good. Secretary of the Implant Club carries less....IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user