Quantcast

How important is optics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I was curious how important optics is for the test? The couple AAMC practice exams I have taken have only had like one or two questions and they were really easy to just plug into the formulas.

So if I know those couple optics formulas will I probably be good to go on the real test? The EK physics in-class test on optics seems much more tricky than any optics I have seen on a AAMC practice test.

My physics class didnt cover optics so I was thinking about just memorizing the couple formulas and just guessing on a question if it required better understanding.

Any thoughts?

Ferocity

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
You should definitely consider learning how to quickly draw ray diagrams - they point out easy and obvious answers. It seems to me that it would be beneficial to memorize certain key factors to save precious time on the MCAT. As an example, all images that are virtual are always upright.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should definitely consider learning how to quickly draw ray diagrams - they point out easy and obvious answers. It seems to me that it would be beneficial to memorize certain key factors to save precious time on the MCAT. As an example, all images that are virtual are always upright.

but is it really worth it as far as the MCAT goes? The most I've seen on a practice is one optics question, but I havent done 6-10 AAMC yet so Im not sure whats on them

chicago88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
your mindset is a very dangerous one :).

will it likely be only 1-2 questions? yes. is it possible it might be a few more than that? of course.

if it is a few more than that you are definitely talking a difference on the 15 point scale, and even if it is just 1-2 questions, this can still be a difference on the 15 point scale.

you will realistically run into topics that you think you know, and yet be stumped by a question, so the safest approach is to learn everything so you at least don't lose the easy points because you were lazy, save the point loss for the difficult questions.

in terms of doing well on the mcat, you should know it all.. and let test day determine what you get wrong as opposed to going in not prepared as you can be, it's just a recipe for disaster.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
your mindset is a very dangerous one :).

Im an engineer so this mindset is encoded in me, nothing needs to be perfect, only good enough ;)

Your advice is good though, Im going to memorize the EK mirrors/lens page and memorize the equations and I should be good to go.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens when there is an optics passage?

They are on there I have heard others talking about seeing them on there....

to me optics was one of the easier things in physics like circuits...so just learn and get it over with....

great MCAT scores usually come with hardwork and not trying to get over on the MCAT.

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol if you don't want to study it, be a risk taker..

what are the odds of an optics passage? are you willing to take the risk?

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol if you don't want to study it, be a risk taker..

what are the odds of an optics passage? are you willing to take the risk?

Im studying the EK book, but Im not going to go out of my way to dig up a physics textbook and actually learn it really well.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dont count the chickens before they hatch.....:idea:

I was completly joking, I guess I chose the wrong smiley.

(I would be extremely excited to get into med school anywhere, as I definately will not have the the most amazing stats)

I think I now have MCAT optics formulas and facts pretty nailed down so Im going to wait a couple days and see if I can do the EK problems.

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
can i have such trick too?

i think of optics as pretty straight forward freebie points. it's just manipulation of of 2 equations. memorize ittt!

Me too, please? thanks! lol

I can haz trickburger plz?

lol, I wish I had some great trick to share with you all, but it really isn't anything that special that hasn't already been posted. I just didn't want to waste space in here, because I figured this was asking about the importance of optics.

This is it, I bet most of you already use this:
focal point
+ converging
- diverging

object distance
+ OBJ on left
- OBJ on right

image distance
+ real image
- virtual image

If you can understand this, even conceptual optics problems can be answered. It's nothing really that special lol