how important is organic chem 2 for the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would it be a large mistake to not take organic II before I take the mcat, if i am taking a kaplan review class and have taken all the other prerequisites?

slash is it allowed to apply to medical school before having a great in org chem II?

Members don't see this ad.

from what i remember, my MCAT (July 2007) was heavily weighted towards Orgo II. While the review books do cover orgo 1 and sometimes chirality appears on the MCAT, i felt that reactions are touched upon much more heavily so to answer ur q, yes u know it. however, if u understand whats going on in kaplan and the reactions and have a good grasp of it, id say take the MCAT. Then again, i felt that without actually taking the course itself, the MCAT prep mgiht not be good enough to comprehend the reactions making it easy to forget.

would it be a large mistake to not take organic II before I take the mcat, if i am taking a kaplan review class and have taken all the other prerequisites?

slash is it allowed to apply to medical school before having a great in org chem II?

orgo 2 is essentially useless for the mcat, and you dont need to have grades in for all prereqs to apply although it may help a little if youve got em. There are less and less orgo questions each year, you will have maybe 5 orgo questions that require outside (not given in passage) knowledge, which are essentially 100% orgo 1. I didnt take any orgo at all and only 2 bio courses and pulled a 10 on BS, which was below my test average. Also, I believe there are premed androids on this site that seem to be superhumanly competitive, and I am definitely not one of them. Finally, Kaplan is a terrible, deceptive money grubbing company. Take princeton review if anything

If anything you will probably get 2 organic chemistry passages during the biology section of your MCAT. Like previously stated, if you feel comfortable with the information on Organic Chemistry provided by your test prep than you should be fine. Good luck.

To answer your second question, you only have to have completed the pre-reqs by the time you matriculate not the time you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are getting the Orgo questions right in your test preperations, then that should answer your question :D. It isn't bad karma or anything. I knew more Orgo during MCAT than when I took both classes (seperated by 3 years).

I don't think you would really be at a loss by not having it. Most of the MCATs seem to be moving away from the more advanced orgo anyways and moving more towards biochem and genetics. At least that's how my MCAT was. I think if you are doing well as it is with the organic sections, focus more on studying for the MCAT then burdening yourself with another class to think about.

If you can take it, then do that. If you can't, then just do your best and focus a lot on organic when studying.

I had quite a bit of organic on my test, and honestly I believe it's the organic chemistry thought process and not necessarily the material that got me a good BS score. What I mean by this is it's a good idea to take Organic II but if you can't and you do a lot of Organic practice and develop good intuition about the problems you'll probably be fine.

Why put yourself at a potential disadvantage though? Be as prepared as you can and aim to take it only once.