how important is PAT and RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MB111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey I wrote the DAT twice.
AA 20, TS 21
these are okay but it's my PAT and RC scores.
they were PAT 19, RC 18 the first time
then PAT 18 and RC 17 the second!

My bio and carving went up the second time though. these were both the cDAT scores. retake suggested? Thanks. Oh yah GPA 3.45
thank uuuu!

Members don't see this ad.

did u already get ur score for the cDAT? when did u write ur cDAT? this february?
I am not an expert but people here on SDN said they look heavily on RC

no, i took it awhile back.

Members don't see this ad :)
did u already get ur score for the cDAT? when did u write ur cDAT? this february?
I am not an expert but people here on SDN said they look heavily on RC

They don't look at RC heavily as long as your whole application is competitive.

They don't look at RC heavily as long as your whole application is competitive.

haha, mut9ya gives herself as a prime example of a soso-RC score but a VERY competitive overall application. congrats for ALL your acceptances! well done.

RC and PAT are not the end-all and be-all of an application. And it is definitely possible to get in with relatively low scores as long as there is strength in other parts of your application. But remember that there are some schools that weigh the RC heavily - I read in the annual report for my top choice that they will focus on students who have high RC scores on the DAT, and I feel that it played a major role in my acceptance. I think it's supposed to be a good predictor of future success in dental school or something (no sure, maybe someone in dental school can confirm).

RC and PAT are not the end-all and be-all of an application. And it is definitely possible to get in with relatively low scores as long as there is strength in other parts of your application. But remember that there are some schools that weigh the RC heavily - I read in the annual report for my top choice that they will focus on students who have high RC scores on the DAT, and I feel that it played a major role in my acceptance. I think it's supposed to be a good predictor of future success in dental school or something (no sure, maybe someone in dental school can confirm).

if you don't mind, which was ur top school that focuses on a high RC? I'll be sure not to apply there since my TC isn't that competitive :(

It's Boston University. But I would definitely apply anyway, just because they said they'll favour high RC scores doesn't mean you won't have a chance. It's a great school and they look at you as a person, not a bunch of numbers.

RC is very important according to the schools I met and spoke with.

anyone have similar RC scores and get accepted???!

pat scores are largely ignored - an 18 pat is generally considered average with regards to accepted students.

the rc though is sometimes weighted more heavily than all other sections, and sometimes is discounted. It is regarded differently at every school. A 17 is usually the cut off score - so i wouldnt sweat it considering your other scores. if it was a sub 17 id worry much more.

Members don't see this ad :)
you will have to call each school and ask them how important PAT and RC is. i think it varies with each school.

i personally think both are very important.

check predents.com or the ADEA for statistics. on predents you can look at individual profiles and it tell you what scores they got. you can use this to gauge which schools you should apply to.

edit: when i said ADEA i meant their book with statistics

you will have to call each school and ask them how important PAT and RC is. i think it varies with each school.

i personally think both are very important.

check predents.com or the ADEA for statistics. on predents you can look at individual profiles and it tell you what scores they got. you can use this to gauge which schools you should apply to.

edit: when i said ADEA i meant their book with statistics

that's the thing im scared about. everyone RC scores on predents are so high!! like 19-20 AND above. i know this is like above the 70th percentile. whatever happened to the 17s and 18s???

i haven't bought the ADEA book. is it worth buying considering a lot of the info is on predents? im willing to buy it if it includes average RC scores in the book. anyone know if that specific information is there?

that's the thing im scared about. everyone RC scores on predents are so high!! like 19-20 AND above. i know this is like above the 70th percentile. whatever happened to the 17s and 18s???

i haven't bought the ADEA book. is it worth buying considering a lot of the info is on predents? im willing to buy it if it includes average RC scores in the book. anyone know if that specific information is there?

the books has the average statistics for the whole class. i dont think they have the stats of individuals.

i got 18 in RC................

the health professions office at my school has a copy of the book. i just went there to take a look at it.

hopefully no one lied or made a mistake on their predent profiles. then predents would be a good enough source to use. i just think the area is more "official?"

the books has the average statistics for the whole class. i dont think they have the stats of individuals.

i got 18 in RC................

the health professions office at my school has a copy of the book. i just went there to take a look at it.

hopefully no one lied or made a mistake on their predent profiles. then predents would be a good enough source to use. i just think the area is more "official?"

right, you got 18 but ur other stats are INCROYABLE. *thumbs up!* yes i know the ADEA doesn't have individual stats but cuz predents doesn't even have the class averages of solely READING COMP in particular (predents gives the stats for PAT, for example), so im wondering if the book does RC individually.

btw, thanks ummjoey for all your valuable input. i see u constantly giving out advice to so many threads. a warm thanks.

right, you got 18 but ur other stats are INCROYABLE. *thumbs up!* yes i know the ADEA doesn't have individual stats but cuz predents doesn't even have the class averages of solely READING COMP in particular (predents gives the stats for PAT, for example), so im wondering if the book does RC individually.

btw, thanks ummjoey for all your valuable input. i see u constantly giving out advice to so many threads. a warm thanks.

thanks! =D but there are some other people with pretty impressive profiles.

i havent seen the book in a while, but im pretty sure they do have the average for all the sections on the DAT. can someone double check?

and it is not a problem. i have time now and predents helped me a lot last year.

The good news is that a score of AA 20 and TS 21 is solid. HOWEVER, some schools "may" see your RC and PAT scores as a red flag.

During my UoP interview, my interviewer was impressed with my 24 RC score. Then, we spent 5 minutes discussing how I just finished reading a book on speed reading and how it helped me get even faster at reading. A few days later I got accepted to UoP.

Conclusion: UoP cares about RC scores.

In addition, UoP also has one of the highest PAT averages in the nation.

Conclusion: UoP cares about PAT scores.

During my UMich interview, I was asked about my "proof" of my manual dexterity. I explained that I am artistically and musically inclined, and that correlates to my high PAT score. I was accepted to UMich a few days later.

Conclusion: UMich cares about PAT scores.

During my UIC & USC interview, I wasn't asked about either of my RC and PAT scores, but I was accepted to both schools. Also, both of these schools only have "ok" RC and PAT averages.

Conclusion: UIC & USC don't really care about RC and PAT as long as the rest the application is strong.

Overall conclusion: Different schools place different emphasis on RC and PAT scores. However, I would be nervous about RC & PAT scores of 18 or lower. In addition, there are probably a ton of SDN'ers that had completely different interview experiences than I had.

I have 17-RC and 18-PAT. I think the RC hurts your application the most. PAT doesn't really matter, as long as you have an 18 or above you should be fine. However, if your OVERALL DAT is above a 20 you will be competitive anyways! ;)

***UNC accepted people with 14 and 16 PAT in the past.***

thank you SHC and Ron Jeremy for your great responses. When i looked onto predents, i saw UNC had a VERY high GPA average. like 3.79!!! so im afraid to apply there with a 3.4. they also only take 13 ppl. so those 13 out-of-staters are probably like 4.0 students!!

AND WOW! illinois only takes 6 out of staters?? i live in canada!! is it worth applying? their averages are lower though, which is in par with mine =P

UNC is definetly not a good "safety" school...for ANYONE!
I would apply to NYU, TUFTS, NOVA, and any other very expensive private school thats not people's first choices! :laugh:

bump please! ppl with 17 are HARD to find on predents. everyone has such amazing RC scores. this makes me worried. each year seems to have more competitive applicants too!

You did really well on DAT. Congrats!!!! As far as I know only couple of schools really emphasize on PAT and RC, but again it is combination of everything that help you enter dental school, so don't worry so much if GPA is low or DAT score is below 20. It depends on schools you apply for. I tried so much to keep my GPA high during undergrads years and I noticed that some of my friends with much lower GPAs than me got accepted on other schools that I didn't get into:)

You did really well on DAT. Congrats!!!! As far as I know only couple of schools really emphasize on PAT and RC, but again it is combination of everything that help you enter dental school, so don't worry so much if GPA is low or DAT score is below 20. It depends on schools you apply for. I tried so much to keep my GPA high during undergrads years and I noticed that some of my friends with much lower GPAs than me got accepted on other schools that I didn't get into:)

thanks, it'd be well if i got the RC and pat up there too! should i apply to unlv then? i've been thinking about that school but ppl told me unlv care ALOT about RC marks.

UCLA and UCSF: most important score is PAT, then RC.
I read that on their site, however, you didn't do badly.

I would say you have a great chance to get into UNLV with your DAT grades. You did very well. What state are you from? My only recommendation to you is that apply too early. Send your main application and secondary application early in summer. UNLV, as I understand, gives the priority of interview dates to Nevada residents, but I saw a lot of Utah residents on the first round of interviews. If you do very well on interview and interview before December I would say you have a great chance to get into UNLV:)

thanks, it'd be well if i got the RC and pat up there too! should i apply to unlv then? i've been thinking about that school but ppl told me unlv care ALOT about RC marks.

Hello Guys,

Im new to this forum, but i have been visiting this website for a while. I just took the dat today (4-21-08) and im a little worried abt my scores..and if i will be accepted in dental schools. my scores were:
AA: 19
PAT: 18
TS: 21
BIo: 18
Gen Chem: 23
Orgo Chem: 20
RC: 17
QR: 18

I dont know if a GPA of 3.9 would actually help me in any way with my scores...

What do u guys think????

Thank u in advance.

Hello Guys,

Im new to this forum, but i have been visiting this website for a while. I just took the dat today (4-21-08) and im a little worried abt my scores..and if i will be accepted in dental schools. my scores were:
AA: 19
PAT: 18
TS: 21
BIo: 18
Gen Chem: 23
Orgo Chem: 20
RC: 17
QR: 18

I dont know if a GPA of 3.9 would actually help me in any way with my scores...

What do u guys think????

Thank u in advance.

lol.......3.9? your gpa is way too low. you need at least a 5.0

i think your stats are fine........more than fine. just apply smart and you shouldnt have to worry.

I would say you have a great chance to get into UNLV with your DAT grades. You did very well. What state are you from? My only recommendation to you is that apply too early. Send your main application and secondary application early in summer. UNLV, as I understand, gives the priority of interview dates to Nevada residents, but I saw a lot of Utah residents on the first round of interviews. If you do very well on interview and interview before December I would say you have a great chance to get into UNLV:)

im from canada...haha. moni ahmadian: "okay u have no chance at unlv"...
at the unlv accepted thread, someone told me my chances are near impossible b/c im international...yah i wonder why so many utah residents and not elsewhere? is utah a feeder school or sth?

at the unlv accepted thread, someone told me my chances are near impossible b/c im international...yah i wonder why so many utah residents and not elsewhere? is utah a feeder school or sth?

Don't know about UNLV, but if you can get that RC score up to a 20, you should have no problem getting into schools. RC is a very important section for many schools.

Utah is a state with a TON of dental applications. BYU is the number 1 or Number 2 dental feeder school in the nation (UCLA is number 1 or 2 as well). Utah is the next state over to Nevada and has no dental school within the state. Nevada wants people who live nearby and possibly may stay in NV afterwards. Their best chance is with UT applicants. Seeing how its only a 5 1/2 hour drive from Provo UT to Las Vegas NV, it is tempting for most Utah residents to apply the "their" state school.

Because you are international students it will be tough, but I believe you can do it. just as somebody said some schools really care about PAT and RC. UCLA for example cares more about RC when the applicant is international. But, you are from English speaking part of Canada or French part?

English part. Toronto, Ontario. I felt that the RC section wasn't hard with respect to the questions they ask. maybe i don't read it at the pace they want? and it unfortunately got reflected in my poor RC mark. sigh, i just don't know if i can improve it much by writing it a THIRD time and risking my other AA and TS averages to go down (from 20 and 21!)