How important is patient care to admission committees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3341

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I was just wondering how important patient care was to most admission committees. I have three years of it, two of which working in the intensive care unit. Do you thinkk this will help even with a less than stellar gpa (3.2)????

Members don't see this ad.

It may help a little. The fact is though that they will probably not choose you over someone with a higher GPA/MCAT just because you have 3 yrs of patient care. It's a nice bonus but can't be the only thing that stands out in your application:eek:

Clinical exposure is sorta "expected" at med school app, but 3 years will be better than 6 months or a summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
This will help very little. Everyone gets plenty of patient care in medical school. It is more important to get a student they know can handle the vast amount of information needed to reach 3rd year (when patient care begins to matter).

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I was also thinking about doing a post bac prior to entering med school b/c I'll have a year off before i can start. What do you think?

apply, see what happens. How did you do on the MCAT. The truth is, from what I've been told, they want to see unique and interesting experiences.

Incidentally, patient care is better than patient abuse.

Do well on your MCAT and they will probably ocverlook the gpa. Maybe I'm just an anmoly but I know MANY people (non URMs) with slightly below 3.0 science gpas that made up for it by competitive MCATs and EC. Don't give up so soon.

3 years is excellent...

its a lot more than what most applicants do. so it will help.
however, getting to the interview process...the numbers do matter. you have a relatively low gpa but it all depends on how you do on the mcat. if you do well, and have a competitive rest of application then you should apply...

there are people with gpas lower than yours that get interviewed and get accepted.

but yeah...the EC is again just one part of the application. the entire package needs to be competitive in order to have success.

i hope so, I'm gonna hgave a year off because Im graduating and applying to med school this summer. i am taking my MCAT in april, so Im planning oon doing a MBS post bac to help boost my science gpa s well as get some exposure to the classes ill see in med school. Hopefully it will help and all pay off in the end!:D