How important is PHYSIOLOGY for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isykitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I blew through Physiology my first year...it really sucked here. Anyways, I feel like I know nothing in the area. How important is it in terms of doing well on step 1. Should I buy the big costanza book to study from during my not-so-free time or try to use BRS physiology? Is the Kaplan physiology lecture notes any good? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Physio is pretty important but the test will have more on pathophysio than normal physio.
For studying Kaplan notes are pretty good, I used those plus the lectures with that santa claus looking kaplan prof. I did the problems in BRS physio but didn't read the actual book. Ended up doing fine on the physio

I think you should be able to get the Physio you need from BRS Physio- I only made it through half the book, but I really liked it... I'd just make sure that you do a good chunk of the practice questions with the up-down arrows; most of the Physio questions on my test were like that and they tend to make me dizzy:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Physio is pretty important but the test will have more on pathophysio than normal physio.
For studying Kaplan notes are pretty good, I used those plus the lectures with that santa claus looking kaplan prof. I did the problems in BRS physio but didn't read the actual book. Ended up doing fine on the physio

So for physio kaplan notes > BRS Physio...hmm :thumbup:

so the kaplan notes you are talking about is the lecture notes and not the home study course right?

so the kaplan notes you are talking about is the lecture notes and not the home study course right?

I think Pinkertinkle tried both the lecture notes and home study course, but ended up going with the lecture notes.

but that is not to say that the home study series are not as good for physiology. I used them, and was very satisfied. to quote Pinkertinkle, "I ended up doing fine in Physio" too;).

If you don't understand physio, then how could you even learn pathology at any meaningful level? Its not like anatomy which you can slip through M2 with only an elementary level of comprehension and still understand your coursework fine.

Physio is, at least indirectly, one of the most important subjects on step 1 I think because of all the pathophys questions. I will agree with a few of the others and say go with Kaplan. Especially if you need a little extra help because the details are explained better in Kaplan than in BRS IMO.

I blew through Physiology my first year...it really sucked here. Anyways, I feel like I know nothing in the area. How important is it in terms of doing well on step 1. Should I buy the big costanza book to study from during my not-so-free time or try to use BRS physiology? Is the Kaplan physiology lecture notes any good? :confused:

Costanza wrote both the "big book" and BRS. I really liked the big book since it was pretty thorough for explaining important concepts. I didn't feel the need to read it cover to cover either. Some sections I just skimmed through because I was fairly comfortable with it. Others I took the time to re-write in my own words.

I'm a visual learner, and I found it helpful to draw out a lot of diagrams to make sense of things... especially for renal.

Beyond that, I think studying physiology is a lot like studying physics. Do a ton of questions and review the answers thoroughly. Eventually it'll just click.

i agree that physio is important, and for me, it was one of my strengths. i still went thru the big costanzo book and found its clinical vignettes to be money. take your time to understand the concepts - you'll be surprised with how much stuff you can answer with a little understanding of physio concepts. BRS is ok, but anemic on most topics. the big costanzo is in sentence/paragraph format and is easily readable in a couple of days (and im a slooow reader!)

does anyone here have an opinion on the Kaplan physio? I watched the video with this book and liked it alot, but if BRS is better... then...