How important is research experience for research-heavy schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apollo69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not applying this cycle but I was wondering, since I have no research experience while attending a research-heavy school (UC), if I have a shot at getting into schools like UCLA and UCSF. I'm not particularly interested in research but I would do it if it means I can't get into my 2 dream schools without it.

So, does anyone know of anyone who was accepted to UCLA or UCSF dental schools without any research experience? Is research experience important for these 2 schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't like research and still try to pursue it, it will be pointless. You won't learn anything or get anything substantial out of it other than saying you did research, and even then, when you get asked about your research in the interview you probably wont seem very interested. Doing a semester of research is nothing btw, but if you are committed over a period of time it shows a lot of commitment and dedication.

Schools look for students that match their philosophy, this is what it means when they say whether or not your a "good fit." I would assume research heavy schools want students who are committed to research, just like community service oriented schools want students who are experienced in that aspect. So what it comes down to is whatever you like about dentistry, whether its research, community service, academics, you pick a school that will help you succeed in what YOU want.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)