How Important is Research for Applying to OMFS Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowhorn_10

Reaction score
Just curious as to what the general consensus is on this. Some have said it is really necessary and some others say OMFS doesn't care too much about research. Additionally, is there any difference between 4 year and 6 year programs in liking to see more research? Research is not something I am too passionate about so I don't have any personal desire to do it, but if it is something I need on my CV for applying then I obviously will make the best of it and do some. Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

if your stats are good enough it doesn't matter
there are enough program directors out there that don't prioritize it that much
you can't generalize it to 4 vs 6, it's up to the individual directors

Just curious as to what the general consensus is on this. Some have said it is really necessary and some others say OMFS doesn't care too much about research. Additionally, is there any difference between 4 year and 6 year programs in liking to see more research? Research is not something I am too passionate about so I don't have any personal desire to do it, but if it is something I need on my CV for applying then I obviously will make the best of it and do some. Thanks in advance for any input.

It can add to an already good CV and help in the interview as it’s an easy topic to talk about and make you look good...but it is far from necessary. And doing research in a non-omfs topic will add zero.

Reactions: 1 user
It can add to an already good CV and help in the interview as it’s an easy topic to talk about and make you look good...but it is far from necessary. And doing research in a non-omfs topic will add zero.

Not my experience at all. I had a dozen or so interviews, it came up at almost every single one. And my work was not related to OMFS at all. This was actually helpful, because I know people who did research in OMFS who got ROASTED in interviews because the attendings were way more knowledgeable about the OMFS-related research. It was much easier to discuss my work with the interviewers because honestly they didn't know what the hell I was talking about, so there was a little more room to BS if I absolutely had to.

But as the others have said, everything is small potatoes after cbse/gpa.

Always remember the "holy trifecta": CBSE GPA and internship. You gotta have 2 to match.

Reactions: 1 users