How important is research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CollegeGirl94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I should really focus on bringing up my GPA, but I also think research is very important for medical school admissions.

I want to do research during my gap year as a job, but how important is it to be very involved with it in undergrad?

I did research last summer, but nothing that might results in a LoR. I emailed him and he said he's full, plus they don't really take research assistants during the year, just students who want to see what it is like during the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

It is somewhat of a requirement at top 20 schools (read: much harder to get in without it), but not as big a deal with others. Having it is good as a checkbox for MD only, but extensive research (read: pubs) isn't necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
It is somewhat of a requirement at top 20 schools (read: much harder to get in without it), but not as big a deal with others. Having it is good as a checkbox for MD only, but extensive research (read: pubs) isn't necessary.
Thank you, would being a research assistant (no project) be a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should only do research if there's the potential of getting published, compensation, or credit. There are enough mentors out there that would put your name on a paper that you shouldn't waste your time in a lab/clinic that won't give you something tangible.

You should only do research if there's the potential of getting published, compensation, or credit. There are enough mentors out there that would put your name on a paper that you shouldn't waste your time in a lab/clinic that won't give you something tangible.

OP, don't take this advice.

Certainly if you can get the above opportunities, they are superior to doing it for nothing, but you can always put down that you did research on your AMCAS application, and that is huge for some schools. In addition, most PIs will write strong letters for you.

Reactions: 3 users
OP, don't take this advice.

Certainly if you can get the above opportunities, they are superior to doing it for nothing, but you can always put down that you did research on your AMCAS application, and that is huge for some schools. In addition, most PIs will write strong letters for you.

I can get the above opportunities, but I'm a bit worried about the time constraints. Doing my own project with a post-doc would be amazing and if I worked hard, the PI would notice. I'm just worried about time constraints and if I should pursue less meaningful work in a lab?

What would you guys suggest?

Last edited:
Notice I didn't say there isn't intrinsic worth to just doing research. But to go into a lab where you know you likely won't get something out of it, sounds foolish to me, especially when there should be other mentors who would be willing to acknowledge your work. If for whatever reasons you're limited that's a different story.

Just try to find a PI that's publishes fairly frequently and has put students' names on things.

If you're doing enough work to get a decent LOR, you're probably doing enough work to get your name on something.

Reactions: 1 user
Notice I didn't say there isn't intrinsic worth to just doing research. But to go into a lab where you know you likely won't get something out of it, sounds foolish to me, especially when there should be other mentors who would be willing to acknowledge your work. If for whatever reasons you're limited that's a different story.

Just try to find a PI that's publishes fairly frequently and has put students' names on things.

If you're doing enough work to get a decent LOR, you're probably doing enough work to get your name on something.

I agree. I know a particular PI at my school, and by the way he treats his undergraduate students, it's unlikely that he allows them to be listed on publications. Incidentally, he announced in one of his classes that in order for one to gain a med school rec letter from him, said student would have to commit to working in his lab for a few months.

How would I know if undergrads are allowed to be published? I think one of my potential PI puts me with a grad student to do a project?

How would I know if undergrads are allowed to be published? I think one of my potential PI puts me with a grad student to do a project?
Look them up on PubMed or see if they have a CV or website online. If there's at least one pub a year with a student on it, that's a pretty good sign. You can also ask the PI that you would like to have a major contribution and would like to know if you can get your name on something if you put the work in.

When I was in undergrad I looked up past projects that my mentor did and noticed several papers with students as early authors, so I was pretty confident that I'd get my name on something at some point.

I also had an experience prior to that where I just took the first position open, and guess what? It turned out to be pretty useless so I downplayed it when I applied.

Look them up on PubMed or see if they have a CV or website online. If there's at least one pub a year with a student on it, that's a pretty good sign. You can also ask the PI that you would like to have a major contribution and would like to know if you can get your name on something if you put the work in.

When I was in undergrad I looked up past projects that my mentor did and noticed several papers with students as early authors, so I was pretty confident that I'd get my name on something at some point.

I also had an experience prior to that where I just took the first position open, and guess what? It turned out to be pretty useless so I downplayed it when I applied.
Yeah, last summer I took a paid position and it was a great introduction (and might help me get into a long term lab), but it wasn't that useful.

I looked at a few PI's publications and it seems that only him and another researcher are ever listed. Bad sign?

I might be crazy, but doing clinical research or translating for patients and doctors/medical students seems like a better way to spend my free time, but yet I like research so I'm torn.

Last edited:
I feel like I should really focus on bringing up my GPA, but I also think research is very important for medical school admissions.

I want to do research during my gap year as a job, but how important is it to be very involved with it in undergrad?

I did research last summer, but nothing that might results in a LoR. I emailed him and he said he's full, plus they don't really take research assistants during the year, just students who want to see what it is like during the summer.

Your priority is to focus on bumping your GPA up. Research isn't essential unless you're applying to Top 20. When you're interesting in research, try to determine whether you're interested in basic science (wet lab) (which can be time consuming) or clinical research. But still, GPA is the first priority.

Where? Top 20/30 UG? Definitely not my UG. Clinical? Basic science?

Point is, this is really stretching it out.