how important is research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madonna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
guys i was wondering, how important is research experience. i have 3 years of volunteer work in a clinic and now am volunteering in two other places. i had a full time job thru college and did not have time nor desire for research. do you think it hurts my chances?
and also do you think med schools go tiny bit easier on you if you had to work full time?
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

for medical school in general? no. For some research-oriented programs, however, it's almost a requirement (i.e. if you don't have research, you need to have some sort of kickass study/service abroad type thing to make up for it).

Unless you have you heart set on one of those schools, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Dark - sorry to see you had such a hard time at Northwestern's interview - it didn't seem like the people on my interview day (three days before yours) really felt that way. One student in my panel had some real tough questions, but the other student and I did fine, IMO. Maybe they have the nice people and the scary people switch off! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
madonna said:
guys i was wondering, how important is research experience. i have 3 years of volunteer work in a clinic and now am volunteering in two other places. i had a full time job thru college and did not have time nor desire for research. do you think it hurts my chances?
and also do you think med schools go tiny bit easier on you if you had to work full time?
thanx

Schools which are research oriented tend to like to see applicants who had some experience and interest in research. But to get into med school in general, having a strong clinical experience is generally more important. I don't think med schools go any easier on you for working full time -- many applicants have jobs, family obligations etc., and still manage to get the grades and ECs.

Certain schools are research-focused, but you can get in without it.

:luck: