How important is research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedRobin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before. I'm starting med school next year and really excited with lots of questions. :)

Lately I've been looking at what is needed for securing a residency of my choice. Right now I'm a little uncertain which field I want to get into.
If I want to pursue some competitive residency (say, surgery), is research really necessary?

I've done 2.5 years of research in college. My work will be published pretty soon with first authorship. As much as I enjoyed doing it in college, I really don't want to do it again. Knowing what kind of effort it took me to get this one published, I really don't understand how some people pull off a publication in one summer.

So is research really that important?

Members don't see this ad.

It is important for super competitive fields like ENT, derm, rad onc, plastics, ortho, etc. Google NRMP PD Survey and take a look for yourself.

Congrats on getting in to medical school!

As far as I know, research can be important depending on the specific specialty that you want to go into, but in general, your grades, Step 1 score, and LORs are more important. Surgical specialties tend to like research, and some surgical specialties only like research related to their field.

In my opinion, if you end up with a publication from your undergrad work, you're in good shape. Depending on which surgical specialty you want to go into, you might want to consider doing some research related to that specific specialty during the summer between M1/M2 year or during one of your M3/M4 research electives if your school lets you schedule those.

It is possible to publish in one summer if you're doing clinical research. It is much harder to do so if you're doing basic science benchwork. A lot of this also depends on luck and whether you can find a productive PI to work for during the summer. I know plenty of people who did clinical research over the summer and didn't get anything out of it because the PI they worked for was too laid back or they fooled around too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to semi-hijack your thread but I have a similar question. I am currently an M1 and am torn about what to do this summer. The two fields that are bouncing around in my head are ENT and Ortho (have been for years before med school). I have opportunities to do research in either field this summer. But, my school also has an opportunity for students to spend the M1/M2 summer out at Philmont Scout Ranch working on the medical staff. I hiked out there in high school and would love the chance to spend a summer in the mountains but feel like research is a must for those two fields. Like most I did research in undergrad and it was alright but not something Im dying to do again. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

But, my school also has an opportunity for students to spend the M1/M2 summer out at Philmont Scout Ranch working on the medical staff. I hiked out there in high school and would love the chance to spend a summer in the mountains but feel like research is a must for those two fields. nks!

Very cool. Is it just through your school, or do you know if Philmont has this opportunity available to other med students? Just wondering. I've been twice and would love to get back out there on staff.

Sorry, I'm no help though.

Sorry to semi-hijack your thread but I have a similar question. I am currently an M1 and am torn about what to do this summer. The two fields that are bouncing around in my head are ENT and Ortho (have been for years before med school). I have opportunities to do research in either field this summer. But, my school also has an opportunity for students to spend the M1/M2 summer out at Philmont Scout Ranch working on the medical staff. I hiked out there in high school and would love the chance to spend a summer in the mountains but feel like research is a must for those two fields. Like most I did research in undergrad and it was alright but not something Im dying to do again. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Nothing wrong with doing something cool/fun over the summer, but for ent or ortho you better find some other time to work on some projects.

Go with the scout ranch thing. You will have time to do research with ENT or ortho during your second year (I say this because I'm doing exactly that right now).

hey rollo,

what kind of research are you doing? (ie clinical or basic sci research)?

Clinical since I have 0 interest in basic science research. I did little bit of work for a case report and am currently working on a retrospective chart review. So it's nothing fancy but a good start for me since I have no background in clinical research.