How important is scientific research for admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How important is research, and what is your experience with research?

• Research is essential to medical school admissions.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Research is somewhat important to medical school admissions.

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Research is not essential to medical school admissions.

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I did scientific research and was admitted.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I didn't do research and was admitted.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • I did research and was not admitted.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I didn't do research and was not admitted.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

doctorme555

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what extracurricular activities I should do in the limited amount of time I have before application to medical school. I've never done any clinical volunteering or research, so I need to decide if I should do both or just the clinical. By the way, I'm not interested in an MD/PhD program.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you interested in research? One of the best pieces of advice that I have received, in regard to applying for medical school, is to do what I think I would enjoy. Try to learn what a career in medicine would really be like and, most importantly, do what you want.

if you are interested in the research then do it. it is by no means neccessary for admittance to medical school. I had a long conversation with my pre med advisor about this.

This has been discussed to death already...but let me attempt to recap

From my observations at my interviews this year, research is practically a prerequisite for admission to a top-15 school. However, if you plan to go to a more 'ordinary' med school, and are not interested in research as being part of your career, it shouldn't really affect you. Just make sure that you have other EC's to compensate.

Also, there are people who get into top-15 schools without research, but these are all people whose EC's are astounding...the Peace Corps types.