How important is shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have only about 8 hours in shadowing an internal medicine doc, is that enough? Also my mother is a doctor and I have seen what she does and how she lives her life as a doctor (obviously). I'm just wondering if I should even bother to pursue anymore hours, because it has become very difficult to do so with so many classes this quarter. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do some more in the future then.

The main purpose of the shadowing, aside from learning more about the profession that we are interested in, is obtaining a letter of recommendation from a practicing MD. Every med school has different letter of rec requirements, but most want you to have one from an MD who isn't your professor. Thus, the minimum number of hours you need is only as much that your preceptor MD will get to know you and write a letter describing your dedication to medicine, etc. I don't think a letter from your mother or family friend would be good, b/c those have obviously different motives.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I have only about 8 hours in shadowing an internal medicine doc, is that enough?

Not enough. I blame my lack of shadowing my most major deficiency this cycle; I worked clinical jobs and did an internship to work with doctors, but I don't think that was enough. The schools want to know that you know what being a doctor is all about from an unbiased source. AKA your family and friends cannot write a letter without bias.

The main purpose of the shadowing, aside from learning more about the profession that we are interested in, is obtaining a letter of recommendation from a practicing MD. Every med school has different letter of rec requirements, but most want you to have one from an MD who isn't your professor. Thus, the minimum number of hours you need is only as much that your preceptor MD will get to know you and write a letter describing your dedication to medicine, etc. I don't think a letter from your mother or family friend would be good, b/c those have obviously different motives.

Does an MD whom you research for count as a "non-professor" MD letter of rec?

If I have only about 8 hours in shadowing an internal medicine doc, is that enough? Also my mother is a doctor and I have seen what she does and how she lives her life as a doctor (obviously). I'm just wondering if I should even bother to pursue anymore hours, because it has become very difficult to do so with so many classes this quarter. Thanks!!!

Definitely need more...it's sort of like saying that you want to be a chef but have never cooked anything before.

Is that really true? I was under the impression that most take 2 sci, 1 non-science, and a couple that are up to the applicant (volunteer, work, shadowing)?

To the OP, I don't know if it is a requirement or not (I don't think it is). I believe the main point of shadowing is just for the applicant to gauge the profession and see if they could see themselves doing it. Shadowing is just one of the ways you can gain clinical experience...

On a side note, I personally think it is much better to shadow different specialities rather than shadowing one doctor for 150+ hours. It may cost you a letter of rec, but you get to see a lot more and adcomms think you may have a better understanding of what you are getting yourself into.

Is this really true? Others told me MD shadowing letters are basically useless because they don't really tell anyone anything. (The student just follows the MD around observing what he does).

Yeah, that is absolutely untrue. Most medical schools do not require a LOR from an MD. It's my understanding however that DO typically want a letter from a DO, but I'm not 100% percent about that. As for how much you should shadow, I would say as long as you feel like you are going to have an adequate answer to "Why Medicine?" and you feel comfortable answering other questions regarding the day to day life of being a physician, should your interviewer decide to grill you, then you don't need any more shadowing hours.

Not enough. I blame my lack of shadowing my most major deficiency this cycle; I worked clinical jobs and did an internship to work with doctors, but I don't think that was enough. The schools want to know that you know what being a doctor is all about from an unbiased source. AKA your family and friends cannot write a letter without bias.
Agreed.

I brushed off shadowing as some useless, passive task where you didn't actually learn very much. I had clinical jobs instead, but med school advisors who commented on my rejections said that lack of shadowing was a concern.

Sure, because you learn more by watching for a few hours than by working with MDs all day.

OP, just get more shadowing to appease the powers that be.

i still dont see how some of you shadow the same doctor for more than 10 hours. exactly what more are you getting out of this beyond say 2-3 hours where you observe his dealing with patients, rounds, and billing. obviously its different for procedural specialities because you might observe some operations which can each take many hours. but people saying how they shadowed one doctor for 100 hours just sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

I don't get the 100 hours shadowing one doctor thing either. I think it's a hassle enough for me to wedge myself into a doctor's practice just so I can be dead weight for 3 hours...can't imagine making a routine out of it. But I'll play ball, I guess...

Members don't see this ad :)
i still dont see how some of you shadow the same doctor for more than 10 hours. exactly what more are you getting out of this beyond say 2-3 hours where you observe his dealing with patients, rounds, and billing. obviously its different for procedural specialities because you might observe some operations which can each take many hours. but people saying how they shadowed one doctor for 100 hours just sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

I got 115 hrs of shadowing a trauma surgeon. It was a great experience because I was also able to spend time with all of the residents on the trauma service and see all the different sides of being an intern, resident and attending. I went to clinic, rounds, stayed with the resident that was on call overnight and various conferences. So, I think it all depends on the type of shadowing that one is doing. Sure, 100 hrs following around a FM doc at the office might be a bit overkill, but some opportunities are worth the 100+ hrs.

I would say get enough hours that would make you get a fair representation of how its like in the profession. It might be ten hours, or 100 hours, its all a matter of preference.

I'm pretty much tethered to the ER doc as a part of my job in the hospital, so that's how I get my 'shadowing' done. Sure, its only one type of specialty, but with 12 different ER docs (with some being DOs) its like a new experience each time.

As one Dean of Admissions told me: "Shadowing is great, and necessary, but don't overdo it because it is a very passive process."

Granted, you may get hooked up with an awesome doc that pulls you aside and explains things, asks you questions, etc, but for the most part, it is you standing around watching - not interacting.

I got a letter from an emergency room MD where I shadowed and definitely used it for SOME of my secondary applications. I agree w/ the above post that many med schools require 2 science + 1 non-science, but there are schools that require a non-professor MD. The reason is to demonstrate a commitment to the field of medicine by actually going out of your way to see what a real doctor does. Getting an A in a bio class doesn't demonstrate the commitment b/c that's just a part of your undergraduate requirements.

I doubt shadowing is really only for the applicants benefit & not impt for getting into med school, come on. On most of my interviews I was asked about my shadowing experience b/c it is very relevant if you think about it. It's just like extra-curriculars, something that won't make you, but if you don't have it, it could hurt you. Shadowing is boring, but just bite the bullet and do it.

To answer the other person's question about an MD who u did research w/, I guess the letter would be satisfactory, but don't know for sure. Best bet is to contact the med school, they are happy to answer questions like this.

penguin24 said:
Every med school has different letter of rec requirements, but most want you to have one from an MD who isn't your professor.

This is false. This post has an attachment that shows LOR requirements by school from 2005. I don't remember seeing a single school that wants an MD letter.

I got 115 hrs of shadowing a trauma surgeon. It was a great experience because I was also able to spend time with all of the residents on the trauma service and see all the different sides of being an intern, resident and attending. I went to clinic, rounds, stayed with the resident that was on call overnight and various conferences. So, I think it all depends on the type of shadowing that one is doing. Sure, 100 hrs following around a FM doc at the office might be a bit overkill, but some opportunities are worth the 100+ hrs.

sounds like a pretty awesome experience. id love to have done something like that!

I never shadowed and got into med school. First of all they care way more about your mcat/gpa than anything else so it's better to focus on those. Secondly, the whole point of shadowing is to show adcoms that you know what you're getting yourself into (which nobody really does anyway, and they know this, they just want to see you made an effort). You seem to have had enough exposure to convince yourself, and that's all you need to make a good case. Just play up your mother is a doctor thing in your essay/interview if you feel insecure about it.

I did a grand total of 3 hours of shadowing... in other words, who knows how important it is? I think it can only help the more you do it though.

any tips for U of A applications process? I live in so cal and looking to stay, relatively, close to home and thought about applying there.

Well this year (2010 application cycle) is the first year they are allowing OOS applicants, so nobody really knows what that will be like yet. But the website is advertising that they are willing up fill the class with up to 25% OOS students, so that seems like a pretty decent chunk.
Oh? This is news to me. I have MSARs about 1-2 years out of date. Did any other school change their residence policy?

I've shadowed the same physician on about a 1 in 3 week basis for the last year. Why the same one? Because I enjoy the clinic (peds card), get to see kids, shadow under one of the best physicians at UVa, and I always get to work with somebody new (not just the attending, but the fellows, residents, and med students).

It is a good idea to shadow in a variety of settings, but once you've done that, and you've found one you really like, why not stick with it?

MAJOR question:
HOW does one go about getting the opportunity to shadow?? Especially for so many hours?? I too only have 8 hours (ie, 9am-5pm! one day!) experience from my old pediatrician... How do I find a doctor who will give me so many hours?

(NB: I do, however, have other clinical experience from a job and volunteering in 2 different hospitals. I was under the impression that "clinical experience" can be comprised of various things, including but not limited to shadowing..:confused:)

It's probably not even in the latest edition of MSAR... the website just updated within the last 2-3 days.

http://www.admissions.medicine.arizona.edu/

Newest MSAR says, strong preference to residents of Arizona and WICHE applicants from Montana/Wyoming, and Native Americans from Arizona's neighboring states.

"Effective fall 2009, highly qualified nonresident applicants will be considered for up to 25% of the student body"

Newest MSAR says, strong preference to residents of Arizona and WICHE applicants from Montana/Wyoming, and Native Americans from Arizona's neighboring states.

"Effective fall 2009, highly qualified nonresident applicants will be considered for up to 25% of the student body"

Don't all schools want "highly qualified" applicants?:laugh: