pioneer22

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, Im building my schedule, and was wondering if I could get alot of feedback on how important it is to take an intro sociology course for the new MCAT? Thanks

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Not really vital- it's all self-studyable. But it can help if you want some formal exposure before self-studying I guess.

Reactions: pioneer22

happyducky

2+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2016
Sandy dunes
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You definitely do not need to take sociology to do well on the new MCAT. I took 2 introductory and 2 upper level sociology courses during my undergrad (it was my favorite subject) but I didn't think it gave me an advantage at all. I recommend just buying the socio subject book from Kaplan. They have all the necessary info that will be tested on the MCAT.

Reactions: pioneer22

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Many sociology topics are also found in social psychology, such as the bystander effect, so if you have thoroughly reviewed psychology then you should be able to gloss over the AAMC list and look at Kahn Academy for whatever you need.

Eleithyia

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Agree with the above. Definitely not necessary to take a course unless you're interested in it for other reasons. Self-studying is really doable for this section... just don't get lulled into a false sense of security!

Psychology has methods and studies that look a lot more familiar to most pre-meds than the ones sociology uses. Since the psych/soc section is leaning toward questions based on excerpts of studies, it might be helpful to get at least a little experience interpreting findings from sociological research.

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
All you need for sociology is covered in the khan academy videos (there aren't that many).