1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is the MCAT? Should I take it?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by sarephina, Dec 18, 2005.

1. sarephina

sarephina ~:]
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

I'm in an accelerated medical program (BS/MD) that doesn't require the MCAT.

However, I have read somewhere that we should take it anyway because some residencies use it to judge candidates. How much weight do they put in the MCAT? Will I be at a disadvantage for not having a MCAT score? Should I seriously consider taking it?

Thanks for reading. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Clemson Doc

Clemson Doc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know much about how residency programs view accelerated programs like the one you're in, but I don't see why a residency program would care about an MCAT score. To my knowledge, they don't look at MCAT scores from students in traditional medical school programs.

Think about the time one would have to devote to studying and preparing for the MCAT. Many students spend an entire summer studying and taking a prep course. In that time, you could be doing some research, traveling to another part of the country or world, or preparing for the USMLE Step 1 (although that would be a couple of years after you would take the MCAT).

4. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

I agree with Clemson...my sister was in an accelerated program such as yours that didn't require the MCAT. The residency programs that she was applying to did not require anything about her MCAT score (however, she did her residency in FP...so i don't know if its the rule or the exception).

As your pre-med advisor, they should know more....but i think he/she might say the same thing

5. sarephina

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Whoo! I can sleep tonight! :laugh:

Yeah, one of the reasons I chose this program is that I wouldn't have to stress over the MCAT. I was surprised when I read about the MCAT thing today, especially since I had never encountered it when I was applying... but I will ask my advisor (couldn't get her over the weekend lol).

Thank you, Clemson Doc and BaylorGuy!

6. CristaGalli

CristaGalli Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So you really would have lost sleep because of such a problem......wow, what is this world coming to?

7. sarephina

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    no, not really. :p
    I was happy about the quick responses. lol