How important is the school you got your degree from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plummy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you currently in the workforce, how much does it matter where you got your degree?

Does it look bad if you went to a really well known undergrad and went to a "no name" school for graduate studies?

Members don't see this ad.

Not even if you went to a good undergrad. How important is it to just go to a well known phd program? I would assume it depends on what your career goals are. If you are looking at teaching/ research positions I'd assume it would be more important. If you are mainly interested in working in a clinic or a private practice- probably not that important. Also- it probably depends where you are looking. Someplace like NY or Boston it would probably matter more than someplace like Idaho (no offense to Idaho)

For those of you currently in the workforce, how much does it matter where you got your degree?

Does it look bad if you went to a really well known undergrad and went to a "no name" school for graduate studies?

I think it's less important than your CV.

I sort of had the opposite problem. I can speak for applying for my Masters because when I applied for doctoral school, it was at the same school that I got my Masters at... so obviously they knew what school I went to.

But anyway, I went to a complete no-name, state of NY, school. They provided me with a great foundation, but unfortunately, if you are not from the area, you most likely haven't heard of the school. It is also a "school in transition," I guess-- which is a nice way of saying that the roof leaked when it rained, the professors' offices were in bad condition, and the campus consisted of one building (aside from the dorm building). I loved it. :) They were in the process of doing a lot for the school, and the undergrad psychology program provided me with three research methods courses, stats, and an internship.

After graduating from this school, I was accepted to all three Masters programs that I applied for. At this point, I really had no CV because I hadn't done anything. I had no work experience that was related to psychology because I applied while I was still in undergrad.

Like dd123 said, it really comes down to your CV. When I did apply to doctoral school, I had very good grades, but terrible standardized test scores. However, I had a good amount of experience in the field, and since I was applying to a psychodynamic school, I highlighted my knowledge and experience with psychodynamic theories/therapy.

I agree that it has more to do with the educational and career goals that you have in mind. That way, when you pick a school to apply to, you can highlight certain things about you that fit really well with the school.