How important is USMLE for DO's to get a spot in neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kappy001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is USMLE for DO's to get a spot in neurology? Any idea which programs offer a spot in neurology to DO's who do not have USMLE? Appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

i can only answer based on my experience applying to new england based neuro programs....

i was told that ALL the new england neuro programs save for the harvard based ones (true?) will take comlex at face value. no usmle required. i had received invitations to interview most everywhere i applied. many of the new england programs have had or currently have osteopath neuro residents. several have dual-creditation internship programs. comlex was not a topic of discussion at my interviews. i had a great interview season. the focus time and again at all programs were clinical rotation experiences and LORs.

hope this helps!

Thanks for feed back!

osteo2005 said:
i can only answer based on my experience applying to new england based neuro programs....

i was told that ALL the new england neuro programs save for the harvard based ones (true?) will take comlex at face value. no usmle required. i had received invitations to interview most everywhere i applied. many of the new england programs have had or currently have osteopath neuro residents. several have dual-creditation internship programs. comlex was not a topic of discussion at my interviews. i had a great interview season. the focus time and again at all programs were clinical rotation experiences and LORs.

hope this helps!