how important is your med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
obviously most people prefer to go to a certain school, maybe beacuse of location, curriculum, reputaion-ranking, research, opportunities, etc...

but, in the end does it matter where you went to school? what does it matter for and how?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by docmemi
obviously most people prefer to go to a certain school, maybe beacuse of location, curriculum, reputaion-ranking, research, opportunities, etc...

but, in the end does it matter where you went to school? what does it matter for and how?

before i went to my interviews i thought it didnt matter where i went to medical school as long as i went to a highly ranked one. but after going to the interviews, i found that there were differences between the schools that i couldnt ignore. now i really just want to go to my first choice and i really dont want to go to my other choices at all. so for me it matters a lot! the school that i want to go to is most unique in its philosophy towards students. they just want to give students the freedom to do what they are passionate about. they also give you a free fifth year and are extremely attentive to your needs. some of you may know which school im talking about. so yeah, all of those things that you mentioned (location, curr, etc) do count.

I think that for a lot of people it doesn't matter. However, if you want to stay in-state often it makes sense to go to medical school there. If you're looking at becoming super-specialized (pediatric neurosurgery only on patients named Bill), then your school matters a lot. If you want a dual degree, especially MD/MPH, then school is very important. There are only 30 or so accredited public health schools, so already you're limited. If you have additional requirements, then it cuts down the list even more.
Obviously there are preferences that aren't requirements for getting an MD(like going to med school in an area with an opera b.c you really like it) and preferences that matter a lot more, such as the speciality you're going into. However, if you're looking to practice in a relatively common area, then medical school probably doesn't matter as much as some people think. You get out of medical school what you put in and if you make the effort, you'll do well.
Ok, just my opinion...

Members don't see this ad :)
everyone has their own way of picking which med school they will attend . . . rankings, scores, vodoo, whatever! i will give you this bit of insider info, DO NOT base your decision on name recognition. my dad is on the OBGYN residency committee at his hospital and he told me (when I was freaking out about going to a school I had never heard of) that 99% of the res. committees are not impressed by the Harvards/Yales/etc. They know which schools produce good doctors, and what is most important to them is not WHERE you went but WHAT you did there!

Where you go to school is most likely where you will do our residency.

I think it doesn't matter to us when we are initially applying and going for interviews. Then, once we get into schools we become more picky. Last October, I was so desperate and anxious to get in somewhere. Now, I'm super picky and I'm trying to weed out some schools that I think won't be a good match for me. Everything comes into consideration:
-curriculum
-ranking of school/residency match
-facility
-tuition
-student atmosphere

Originally posted by celticmists18
everyone has their own way of picking which med school they will attend . . . rankings, scores, vodoo, whatever! i will give you this bit of insider info, DO NOT base your decision on name recognition. my dad is on the OBGYN residency committee at his hospital and he told me (when I was freaking out about going to a school I had never heard of) that 99% of the res. committees are not impressed by the Harvards/Yales/etc. They know which schools produce good doctors, and what is most important to them is not WHERE you went but WHAT you did there!

You're right on it. And from talking to other physicians, your career is truly determined by where you do your residency. So if you don't get into Harvard now, your work in whatever medical school (mostly your clinical grades and recommendations, and board scores if you're trying to get into the more competitive residencies) your attend will be a large determinant in whether you get residencies at Harvard affiliates like Mass General.

I also truly value location and family as tops for consideration in a school, but I also look at how happy the students are at the school and the kinds of support that they get from the administration.

I would say where you go to school is important only if you want to get a really highly competitive residency like Derm. It is also important if you want to enter in academia. Other than that, where you go to school makes no difference. In comparing the matchlists of MD schools, DO schools, and caribbean schools like SGU, they all have graduates in good fields.

What matters more are high board scores and performance in the clinical years of med school.

All this talk about wanting to go into a higher ranked school is really just for people who want the right to say they go to a higher ranked school. Also, the respect that you get from going to a highly ranked school makes people feel better.

If you say you go to Harvard, people give you respect vs. if you say you go to Ross there won't be the same affect.

How about LONG TERM (residency, fellowships, grants)??

im concerned about surgery for example?? im pretty sure that i wont go into acadmics; i dont really like it. how does your school matter for academics (maybe grants)??

thanks.

If you go to a super prestige name..you know which ones they are..YES it will make a difference.Grads of these schools are highly regarded.A look at the match list from Columbia for example,demonstrates that about 90% or more went to very top rated hospitals, even in highly competitve specialties.It does not guarantee anything but its a definite plus,if academics or Plastics is your goal.Once you get past the top 25 or so med schools it makes little difference where you go.The quality of the match lists for the great majority of US med schools is very similar.There is a difference between US and caribbean med schools the chance of matching into a competitive residency is drastically reduced for non US grads.Once you finish training in your chosen field and are in practice where you went to med school is almost irrelevant,you will be judged by your patients and your peers on other variables.Remember about 1/3 of all physicians practicing in the US are IMGs,and most of them are quite successful!

Originally posted by bewitched1081
before i went to my interviews i thought it didnt matter where i went to medical school as long as i went to a highly ranked one. but after going to the interviews, i found that there were differences between the schools that i couldnt ignore. now i really just want to go to my first choice and i really dont want to go to my other choices at all. so for me it matters a lot! the school that i want to go to is most unique in its philosophy towards students. they just want to give students the freedom to do what they are passionate about. they also give you a free fifth year and are extremely attentive to your needs. some of you may know which school im talking about. so yeah, all of those things that you mentioned (location, curr, etc) do count.

What school is that? Stanford has something similar, but you still have to pay (though very little) for your fifth year.

how about for surgery? what if i want to apply to general surgery and then a few years later specialize in plastic surgery, does it matter then?

Originally posted by bewitched1081

which med school are you talking about?:D i'm one of those that doesn't know.....

Originally posted by docmemi
how about for surgery? what if i want to apply to general surgery and then a few years later specialize in plastic surgery, does it matter then?

Actually I think a rough indicator of this is to look at the USNews stat on medical specialties for hospitals. Now for example, if one's interested in Psychiatry, Massachusetts General, NY Presbyterian, and UCLA Neuropsychiatric and the really famous ones. As a result, doing your clinical rotations at those places may help your residency app in terms of school reputation.

General surgery is a backdoor into plastic surgery and, fortunately, general surgery is moderately competitive (i.e., it's quite likely that an average student would match into a residency program). So you can match into a good university g. surg program from ANY medical school.

The prestige factor becomes significant in the Match for highly competitive specialties at renowned hospitals--ENT, plastic surgery, ophthalmology, dermatology, neurosurgery, and orthopaedics. If you want to do your residency in orthopaedics at Mass General Hospital, then you'd better attend a prestigious med school. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter. Graduates from every med school in the country become academics; take a look at the faculty lists for any med school--you'll see people who graduated from a wide variety of med schools (including the "unranked" ones). Similarly, med students from every med school match into the highly competitive specialties mentioned above, but grads from lesser known med schools typically do not match at renowned hospitals in these specialties. Nonetheless, such students live highly productive and succcessful professional lives--their incomes and patient interactions certainly do not suffer from the lack of an ultra-prestigious institutional background.

Originally posted by CalBeE
What school is that? Stanford has something similar, but you still have to pay (though very little) for your fifth year.

My money is on Yale. They're very proud of their free fifth year. The main drawback is the location.

Originally posted by CalBeE
Actually I think a rough indicator of this is to look at the USNews stat on medical specialties for hospitals. Now for example, if one's interested in Psychiatry, Massachusetts General, NY Presbyterian, and UCLA Neuropsychiatric and the really famous ones. As a result, doing your clinical rotations at those places may help your residency app in terms of school reputation.

Where is this information made available? In the rankings edition of USNews?

i want to stay in la, cali for residency....ucla, private hosp, or one of the county hospitals. how competitive are those (for like gen surgery or neuro/cardio/plastic surgery)?? i never knew plastic surgery was so competitive.

Originally posted by elias514
General surgery is a backdoor into plastic surgery and, fortunately, general surgery is moderately competitive (i.e., it's quite likely that an average student would match into a residency program). So you can match into a good university g. surg program from ANY medical school.

This is why forums are dangerous... Pre-meds giving advice :rolleyes:

General Surgery is more than a bit competitive this year... 1400 AMGs for 950 categorical slots (only 2 went unmatched). Between 30-40% of students in my class DID NOT match in g.surg. Your medical school does make a difference, but if you are REALLY sure you know what you want to do, the particular department is even more important. We have a very strong department of surgery and that can definitely help, but it's still not a guarantee of matching.

Plastic surgery & neurosurgery are incredibly competitive. G. Surg is closing in on radiology at the moment (likely surpassed emergency med this year). Matching in California, even at community places is not easy (as evidenced by my classmate). Even more difficult if you are trying to come in from out-of-state and didn't go to a top 10 med school. If you want an LA residency, go to the best southern cali med school you can get into, unless you get a truly exceptional out-of-state med school.

for me, the question is more, how much do I want to be a doctor. this is because i have not yet been accepted. would i still go even if i only got into my last choice of med school? yes.

i would think that people with multiple acceptances would take into account what calflowergirl said above.