carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Disclaimer:

I enrolled in SUNY Albany only because it met the following criteria: I'm poor - its a state school and I live near albany - its in Albany. To this day I am regretting my decision and transferring to another institution outside of the capital region is not an option.

Let me also make it clear that I have met some very intelligent people at Ualbany, MANY of them premeds, but the VAST majority of undergraduates are there to party, have sex, and not touch a book with a 10 ft pole.​

That being said let me move on to my actual question....

My spider-sense began tingling early during my first semester there. I was a transfer student from one of the best community colleges on the east coast and knew what good students looked like; as stated above, these guys didn’t really fit the bill.

The next blow came when I got a strange email from the president of the university saying that the school: “needed to rise above the rating given to it by Princeton Review”. “What rating?” I asked myself. Well, its actually ratings. Remember these are NATIONAL rankings!

I'm just in awe... Im sorry I'm ranting on and on. But believe it or not the faculty and administration play into the students' idiocy. Example: we get the muslim new year off. (no offense to muslims) And we get TWO count them...TWO DAYS off for presidents DAY. And I could of course go on and on..

So my question is...will medical schools know that my school is a joke when I apply because of of its horrid reputation and disreguard my application because of it. Ive checked mdapplicants.com and there were only two guys who posted who went to Ualbany and one persons stats were pretty good and he didnt get into very many schools.

I really need help guys because I either stick it out here or pay 40K a year at the local engineering school (RPI).

robo77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
I went to a school that is probably not too much better than what you are experiencing and did not have too much trouble getting in, so to answer your question, school will not matter as long as you have the grades and the MCAT to shine. Especially if you are set on going to a DO school, they are not so big on BIG names and are more understanding to individual situations.
carn311 said:
Disclaimer:

I enrolled in SUNY Albany only because it met the following criteria: I'm poor - its a state school and I live near albany - its in Albany. To this day I am regretting my decision and transferring to another institution outside of the capital region is not an option.

Let me also make it clear that I have met some very intelligent people at Ualbany, MANY of them premeds, but the VAST majority of undergraduates are there to party, have sex, and not touch a book with a 10 ft pole.​

That being said let me move on to my actual question....

My spider-sense began tingling early during my first semester there. I was a transfer student from one of the best community colleges on the east coast and knew what good students looked like; as stated above, these guys didn’t really fit the bill.

The next blow came when I got a strange email from the president of the university saying that the school: “needed to rise above the rating given to it by Princeton Review”. “What rating?” I asked myself. Well, its actually ratings. Remember these are NATIONAL rankings!

I'm just in awe... Im sorry I'm ranting on and on. But believe it or not the faculty and administration play into the students' idiocy. Example: we get the muslim new year off. (no offense to muslims) And we get TWO count them...TWO DAYS off for presidents DAY. And I could of course go on and on..

So my question is...will medical schools know that my school is a joke when I apply because of of its horrid reputation and disreguard my application because of it. Ive checked mdapplicants.com and there were only two guys who posted who went to Ualbany and one persons stats were pretty good and he didnt get into very many schools.

I really need help guys because I either stick it out here or pay 40K a year at the local engineering school (RPI).

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
Where you did your undergrad means absolutely nothing for DO schools at least. Seriously - that's not at all hyperbole.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
As long as you do well in class, pre-reqs, and MCAT, you will have a decent shot at any DO school. Top 10 allopathic schools may be picky, but I'm sure you'll find people from different places there too.

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I went to albany too for a while then transfered after a few years. In the end it mattered not, I got into medical school. You go where you best learn for undergrad. RPI is a awesome school if you want to be an engineer. (not very cute girls but a good education :) )

Oh, if your worried about getting into school from Albany...just of my close friends alone two went to NYCOM, one went to LECOM, and one of my buds went to Mt. Siani.

In my medical school class there is a mix of big universities and little small private colleges. Just do well in class and learn your material.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
Beach or Pool, you pick...
Visit site
Status
I went to a local school that doesn't have much of a name for itself, and actually most people have never heard of anything like it. I got asked a few questions abuot my school, but nobody ever looked down at it. I think that as long as you prove yourself with a good MCAT score; that the field is level. The only time I could picture school rep coming in is if you have a bad GPA, and the adcom gives you a break bc you went to a notoriously difficult school.

Don't worry about it. Make the best of your education, and do well on the MCAT.

SuperFemDoc22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
Status
I am a recent SUNY Albany grad, Class of 2004. I agree, the students there were not the most academically minded people. My friends couldn't even comprehend how I was a biology major and how it was possible for me to spend 8 hours a day studying for the mcats. But I did, and I found that there were actually some really intelligent people who attended the school. Of course, I had to deal with classrooms filled with 300+ students, professors who didnt give a crap about the students, and advisors who didn't know their ass from thier head. But guess what, I still got into NYCOM because I made the most of what I had. My advice, stick it out because you'll save money by going to a state school, form study groups with other pre-meds who are going toward the same goals as you, stand out to your profs, graduate on time and get the hell outta there. On a side note, the muslim new year holiday must be new, they never had that when I was there and Im damn glad they did. Why this would be "playing into students idiocy", im not sure. The presidents day may be a little unecessary but Islam is the SECOND largest religion in the world. There are actually more muslims than Jews so if we have one damn holiday in the calendar year, its not an "idiotic" thing as you stated.

J1515

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
Status
If you're interested in osteopathic medicine, your undergrad school name means absolutely nothing, I repeat NOTHING, so don't worry about it. Allopathic schools are a different story.

Doc2B-Finally

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
Status
J1515 said:
If you're interested in osteopathic medicine, your undergrad school name means absolutely nothing, I repeat NOTHING, so don't worry about it. Allopathic schools are a different story.
And you know this because......??????

MagnumDR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
The admissions director at Touro-MI said "it ablsolutley means something what undergraduate institution you went to." So the blanket statement of DO schools not caring isn't true. But I would imagine a good MCAT score will trump a less respected undergraduate institution.

LVDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
MagnumDR said:
The admissions director at Touro-MI said "it ablsolutley means something what undergraduate institution you went to." So the blanket statement of DO schools not caring isn't true. But I would imagine a good MCAT score will trump a less respected undergraduate institution.
I can back that up....I remember him saying that at my interview. It's a good thing too. At least I know these past four years weren't a total waste.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
The best coast (west coast)
Status
They say that because a B in Organic Chemistry at Harvard or Yale does not equal a B at some community colleges... it doesn't mean they look down on where you go though. I don't think it will hurt you - especially if you do well in your classes :thumbup: