How important should WEATHER be in deciding where I'll go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's personal taste. For me, very little. I don't like the sun and I will likely stay in doors all the time. The only sport I enjoy is ice skating (in doors). I couldn't care less about being in Cali or Alaska or Washington...

Members don't see this ad.

Weather is HUGE. I simply will not go to some godforsaken place in the midwest, rural, etc. I need warmth, and if I cant have that, I at least need a big city.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL.

Is this an American physician? If so, chances are that's a cover for why they went to a Carribean medical school. The stakes are too high to attend a foreign medical school by choice. I'd recommend mortons salt, you know, so you can have a grain of it here.

Stay thirsty my friends.

No, it was by choice. He got into US MD schools but chose Caribbean. And yes it is an American physician. Obviously this is a rare exception and not the safest idea. Also it was 10+ years ago.

No, it was by choice. He got into US MD schools but chose Caribbean. And yes it is an American physician. Obviously this is a rare exception and not the safest idea. Also it was 10+ years ago.

Well, that is very lucky of them. Also foolish. The climate of admissions and ACGME funding and the competitiveness of residencies these days is a game changer though. If he were a student today, things would likely go poorly for him.

If someone has a choice and chooses to go Caribbean, it means that they are probably the kind of student that would have succeeded anywhere. The issue with Caribbean schools is that they will take anyone and this means that most people who go there have no business being in medical school at all. It's a place for second chances but it's also a backdoor for people who wouldn't have succeeded and were rightly denied entry into medical school because they don't have what it takes.

North Carolina kind of parallels NorCal, seasonally, and then once you get down to Florida and Georgia, you've got Southern California status.

As someone who has lived in North Carolina, Florida, Southern California, and Northern California, I can definitely say that this is false (even disregarding humidity).

As someone who has lived in North Carolina, Florida, Southern California, and Northern California, I can definitely say that this is false (even disregarding humidity).

Not the main point of my comments in this thread. Nice weather isn't unique to the west coast is the point I was driving at.

Not the main point of my comments in this thread. Nice weather isn't unique to the west coast is the point I was driving at.

I understand it was not your main point. That doesn't make it any less untrue.

What are living costs like between SanFran , Boston, and NYC?

Does it go SF>Manhattan>Boston>NYC proper ?

I've heard property in SF is expenssssiiivveeeeeeeee.
NYC proper? Never heard anyone call it that - you can find spots in any of the 5 boroughs that will run you upwards of $2000/month. I've lived in Brooklyn and the Bronx for less than 1K/month. Good luck finding something habitable in Manhattan for under $1000.
I've heard that Boston and NYC are comparable as far as rent/utilities/COL go.

Stay thirsty my friends.

:rofl: whatever, be an SDN A-type, I really don't care.

I apologize if my post came off in a way that you felt the need to start name calling.

People who haven't lived in all those places (NorCal, SoCal, North Carolina, Florida), might take you at your word that they have similar climates. If weather is truly an important factor for someone, they need to understand that this is untrue.

I would assume that you haven't spent extensive time in each of these places and therefore are not purposely misleading people. You are correct that there is "nice weather" to be found all across that US, but that doesn't mean that all places with nice weather are the same or even similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've lived in SC and GA and I was thinking the exact same thing. East coast and west coast weather are just completely different. Even if you found a place on each coast with the same average temperature, the climates are still totally different. Plus the atlantic is warm and the pacific is cold

Weather is an important factor. Moving to places with extreme cold/lake effect snow could be potentially dramatic. It is snow on the ground from Oct-March and temperatures are commonly below zero. Seasonal depression is real. When its -15 degrees, dark at 4:30, and snowing its worse than "don't worry you won't be outside much". That being said, I wouldn't choose a school over it, primarily because my family/friends are in the north and I am used to it. I hate the weather but my familiarity with the northeast trumps the benefits of moving to the south or Cali. If you're choosing between two comparable schools with comparable fin aid packages with no significant other and no ties to family/parents/friends etc. than I think weather could drive a decision

East coast any day baby! What's the big deal in california - it's so far away from everything else

East coast any day baby! What's the big deal in california - it's so far away from everything else

OMG, this thread has summoned out lord and savior himself.

On the topic of picking a school based on weather... I went to undergrad at Tulane. I grew up in an area that got plenty of snow, and one of the things that was really appealing to me was the weather.

I graduated in May 2006. Do that math. Things don't always work out the way you expect.
I'd rather spend $100/year ($400 total) on a very warm jacket than $60,000 dollars.

I apologize if my post came off in a way that you felt the need to start name calling.

People who haven't lived in all those places (NorCal, SoCal, North Carolina, Florida), might take you at your word that they have similar climates. If weather is truly an important factor for someone, they need to understand that this is untrue.

I would assume that you haven't spent extensive time in each of these places and therefore are not purposely misleading people. You are correct that there is "nice weather" to be found all across that US, but that doesn't mean that all places with nice weather are the same or even similar.

Having lived in both Southern California and Florida (one right after the other, actually), I could not agree more. I loved living in SoCal, and HATED Florida. I do kind of fundamentally disagree with the premise that nice weather is everywhere. I think that most places in the USA have nice weather sometimes, but you have to look at the proportion of the time the weather is nice, tolerable, or miserable. (This is a subjective determination; I find snowy weather completely miserable, but some people love it.)

As for the poster's original question: if weather is a big deal to you, you should consider it a relatively big factor in your decision. It can make a difference in how you perform academically. I transferred from an east coast college to a west coast college, and found that both my mood and my grades went up in the warmer climate. It was also just generally a better experience overall, and that's not something to discount. But then again, neither is $60,000 plus interest.

So uh...good luck with that!

I'd rather spend $100/year ($400 total) on a very warm jacket than $60,000 dollars.

How does buying a jacket cause the sun to come out several extra hours a day, stop the air from being cold outside, stop my skin from being dehydrated, and prevent snow from falling? Do I have to set it on fire and say a prayer?

How does buying a jacket cause the sun to come out several extra hours a day, stop the air from being cold outside, stop my skin from being dehydrated, and prevent snow from falling? Do I have to set it on fire and say a prayer?
How does a cold weather affect your ability to study and succeed in medical school? Get your priorities straight. You want all around sunshine, hot air, well hydrated skin...lol many places in the planet to find that.

Their skin is well hydrated:
baywatch-1992-DW-Vermischtes-Berlin.jpg

Having lived in both Southern California and Florida (one right after the other, actually), I could not agree more. I loved living in SoCal, and HATED Florida. I do kind of fundamentally disagree with the premise that nice weather is everywhere. I think that most places in the USA have nice weather sometimes, but you have to look at the proportion of the time the weather is nice, tolerable, or miserable. (This is a subjective determination; I find snowy weather completely miserable, but some people love it.)

As for the poster's original question: if weather is a big deal to you, you should consider it a relatively big factor in your decision. It can make a difference in how you perform academically. I transferred from an east coast college to a west coast college, and found that both my mood and my grades went up in the warmer climate. It was also just generally a better experience overall, and that's not something to discount. But then again, neither is $60,000 plus interest.

So uh...good luck with that!
Really? How so? The warmer climate gives you brain-hydration? A mere weather is enough to throw off your grades and determine your success in an institution. Quite shameful. And these are the leaders of tomorrow? I worry about the future of this Country.

How does a cold weather affect your ability to study and succeed in medical school? Get your priorities straight. You want all around sunshine, hot air, well hydrated skin...lol many places in the planet to find that.

If you have issues with cold weather, it can very easily affect your psychological well-being. You clearly have no idea. That's OK though, that was my point to the OP; don't listen to people who give false advice like "just wear a coat." Some people are incapable of understanding.

let me get this straight. You want me to tell you how important weather is to you for your choice of medical school? How in the hell would I know the answer to that question?

let me get this straight. You want me to tell you how important weather is to you for your choice of medical school? How in the hell would I know the answer to that question?
People come online to ask questions they already have answers to.
I guess OP just needed to hear everyone's insight to help them solidify their decision. OP already decided long posting this thread.

Really? How so? The warmer climate gives you brain-hydration? A mere weather is enough to throw off your grades and determine your success in an institution. Quite shameful. And these are the leaders of tomorrow? I worry about the future of this Country.

Haha what?

Correction: dafuq?

Seasonal Affective Disorder.

If you have issues with cold weather, it can very easily affect your psychological well-being. You clearly have no idea. That's OK though, that was my point to the OP; don't listen to people who give false advice like "just wear a coat." Some people are incapable of understanding.
Yea, everyone has the things that matter to them.
Depends on what's priority to you.
Man has the ability to adapt to ANY circumstances. If a bad weather is enough to determine your success in your life's goals - then you are not serious about those goals. And that's just IMHO.

Tell it to the kids in Africa that will give anything - just anything to have a roof over their head, a school to attend (now imagine an opportunity to study medicine) and electricity to navigate their homes at night. You think a bad weather is something they are worried about? My environment/climate has never really been a deciding factor in anything in my life, so maybe I am speaking from that light.

Now, if you say you need to be close to your family and friends, then that's a good reason. If you say money is a factor (nobody wants debt), then that's understandable. But the weather - that's nature, you can't escape the weather.

Florida and Georgia are nothing like SoCal weather.

We don't get nearly as cold (North Florida)..or nearly as hot, as either of those places. It also rains a hell of a lot less. And we have very little humidity. so yeah, I'd say they're actually really different.

you won't be outside much.

I don't plan on giving up exercise when I start medical school. I also have a couple of friends at UCSD..they seem to be getting out and living relatively normal lives outside of school.

But truthfully, it's about so much more than just the weather. I need an area that has more than an Applebee's and Red Lobster as the main dining options. Would a handful of weekly farmer's markets be too much to ask for? Would a little culture and/or things to do be out of the question? Having the option to jump on the board and catch a few waves would be icing on the cake.

In my completely unscientific opinion, 90% of the country is Walmart country. Boring towns, boring people, ****ty weather....I know I'd hate it there and absolutely be absolutely miserable...which would probably affect my performance, no matter how much more time I had to study.

Last edited:
You understate the importance of something because it is not important to you.

You're right, for financial purposes I could also live in a van down by the river. I have the means to do otherwise, and choose to do so, although it comes at a real financial cost-- because where I live is important to me, and living in a nicer environment improves my mental well being in the long term. OP has the option of going to 2 different medical schools, one of which is located in a place he would like to live; he is pursuing his dreams wherever he goes. You are just all kinds of judgmental/ridiculous.

But the weather - that's nature, you can't escape the weather.

Weather; you can't explain that!

Reactions: 2 users
You understate the importance of something because it is not important to you.

You're right, for financial purposes I could also live in a van down by the river. I have the means to do otherwise, and choose to do so, although it comes at a real financial cost-- because where I live is important to me, and living in a nicer environment improves my mental well being in the long term. OP has the option of going to 2 different medical schools, one of which is located in a place he would like to live; he is pursuing his dreams wherever he goes. You are just all kinds of judgmental/ridiculous.

Weather; you can't explain that!
We can't decide what's priority to OP, nobody can do that. I can only give my opinion and if it affects you or seem ridiculous to you, you can simply ignore it. Case closed.

West Coast best coast. No but for real, unless you've lived in SoCal, you don't understand how mundanely perfect the weather is here most of the year (no humidity, not blistering hot, not bitterly cold). SoCal complains when its more than 90 or less than 60 and if you can feel humidity, someone will complain.

Florida and Georgia are nothing like SoCal weather.

We don't get nearly as cold (North Florida)..or nearly as hot, as either of those places. It also rains a hell of a lot less. And we have very little humidity. so yeah, I'd say they're actually really different.

Some places in SoCal can get pretty hot (inland empire reaches 100+ in the summer easily)

Average debt for medschool is about 200k... (unless your "daddy" has got a lot of sugar and is willing to share). Some people have to take out almost 20k in additional loans for the residency interviews + transition to new city, so 20k to me is not the end of the world. It's likely even more trivial if you become a surgeon and end up paying income based repayments on your loans for 7 to 10 years on a resident/fellow's salary (the burden will not be felt for a long long long time down the road, when you are making a surgeon's income). Anyway, trade that with the fact that if the winter hits hard and you get seasonal affective disorder and a nice dose of I'm no longer bright and special like in undergrad -- well that could definitely throw a wrench in things (I've seen it happen and it's not pretty).

Disclaimer is I went to a school in freezing hell but did fine because it was in a big city that I love and I don't need the SAD Lamp every winter.

West Coast best coast. No but for real, unless you've lived in SoCal, you don't understand how mundanely perfect the weather is here most of the year (no humidity, not blistering hot, not bitterly cold). SoCal complains when its more than 90 or less than 60 and if you can feel humidity, someone will complain.

Some places in SoCal can get pretty hot (inland empire reaches 100+ in the summer easily)
;) I like you :naughty:

seasonal affective disorder all kinds of disease people like to plague themselves with *smh

Do whatever fits your needs. I personally don't care about weather too much. I was born and lived on the West Coast before my family moved to the Midwest, and though I sometimes miss the nicer weather over there and occasionally gripe about the cold here, I am not particular about weather nor does the climate affect me or my studies/work in any way. If you have asthma or SAD or just know that being in a colder environment will not be conducive to your health or overall mentality to the point where the additional cost would be worth it, then by all means choose the warmer place.

Last edited:

True.

Although my concept of Southern California ends east of the 5. Everything else is just full of desert people ;)

It's also not just the cold/snow, but also the short days. Living in southern CA you might actually get to see the sun every once in a while in the winter. At Dartmouth/Vermont....probably not.

For me, I am not at all a fan of the cold, snowy weather, but I like having legitimate summers and I completely love humidity, so I prefer the dirty dirty. I've never lived in NC, but I think I'd love it - mountains in the west, beaches in the east, hot summers, and cold winters with some snow, but also with some sunshine. Plus it's close to my parents, but not too close.

seasonal affective disorder all kinds of disease people like to plague themselves with *smh

you try looking at this view 7 days a week, then go live in Michigan and tell me you aren't depressed o_O

and yup..I really took that picture.

1174880_10101267967734369_93947879_n.jpg

Yea, everyone has the things that matter to them.
Depends on what's priority to you.
Man has the ability to adapt to ANY circumstances. If a bad weather is enough to determine your success in your life's goals - then you are not serious about those goals. And that's just IMHO.

Tell it to the kids in Africa that will give anything - just anything to have a roof over their head, a school to attend (now imagine an opportunity to study medicine) and electricity to navigate their homes at night. You think a bad weather is something they are worried about? My environment/climate has never really been a deciding factor in anything in my life, so maybe I am speaking from that light.

Now, if you say you need to be close to your family and friends, then that's a good reason. If you say money is a factor (nobody wants debt), then that's understandable. But the weather - that's nature, you can't escape the weather.

Hypothetical: Lars Sørenson from Minneapolis is accepted to UCSD, UMinn, Univ. of Maryland, and Loyola University Chicago. Subsequently, Lars Sørenson matriculates at UCSD. Lars Sørenson has escaped the weather. Next?

It's also not just the cold/snow, but also the short days. Living in southern CA you might actually get to see the sun every once in a while in the winter. At Dartmouth/Vermont....probably not.

More like almost every day. It's just closer to 60 degrees

But truthfully, it's about so much more than just the weather. I need an area that has more than an Applebee's and Red Lobster as the main dining options. Would a handful of weekly farmer's markets be too much to ask for? Would a little culture and/or things to do be out of the question? Having the option to jump on the board and catch a few waves would be icing on the cake.

In my completely unscientific opinion, 90% of the country is Walmart country. Boring towns, boring people, ****** weather....I know I'd hate it there and absolutely be absolutely miserable...which would probably affect my performance, no matter how much more time I had to study.
I agree with all of this - except that I feel the exact opposite way. I hate living in the city.
Actually, when looking at places for my SO to apply to med school, we ranked all the schools by the population of the city as well as population density and picked the lowest ones in each group haha. Of course that's not the only factor, or even the biggest factor, just that people are so different in what is important to them. I've never heard of another med student trying to avoid cities. We wouldn't even consider NYC or Boston even if we could afford to live there.

As for weather - the only thing I really can't stand is tornadoes. I've lived through hurricanes and the longest winter ever (I still assume it's gonna snow more this year), and actually even a handful of tornadoes, but for some reason they're the only ones that really freak me out.
I'm sure earthquakes would freak me out too if I lived on the west coast, but when I was in Atlanta we got tornado warnings all the time and I was just glued to the TV, I had nightmares. I just can't do that anymore. When we talked about moving to our current city, I insisted we look up tornado records before committing.

More like almost every day. It's just closer to 60 degrees
Well I was exaggerating about those who spend all day at the library, but yeah I'm sure that you can if you want to. Where I live the shortest day was like 8 - 5:30 this winter.

you try looking at this view 7 days a week, then go live in Michigan and tell me you aren't depressed o_O

and yup..I really took that picture.
If Michigan is the only school that accepts you or if Michigan saves you $60,000 tell me you are still depressed :D

But truthfully, it's about so much more than just the weather. I need an area that has more than an Applebee's and Red Lobster as the main dining options. Would a handful of weekly farmer's markets be too much to ask for? Would a little culture and/or things to do be out of the question? ...
In my completely unscientific opinion, 90% of the country is Walmart country. Boring towns, boring people, ****** weather....I know I'd hate it there and absolutely be absolutely miserable...which would probably affect my performance, no matter how much more time I had to study.

This is just pure ignorance.